Sat 10
Kirkley & Pakefield FC
FC Clacton
Royals Walk Away With Draw After Clacton Fight Back

Royals Walk Away With Draw After Clacton Fight Back

By KPFC Admin
Share via

Kirkley & Pakefield hosted a fun day for everyone who attended the game on Saturday to celebrate a 150 years of the Football Association as well as remembering the great Sir Bobby Robson. Ice cream vans, bungee runs and a tombola raffle were just a few of

Kirkley and Pakefield had the early opening chances with Robert Horton blasting just wide of the post after a corner from Ross Catchpole. Time after time Kirkley would break forward but were caught by the offside trap until Gary Williams made a run down the right wing to set Kyle Baker up to score the first goal of the season within the first 4 minutes.

Kirkley and Pakefield had the majority of the chances within the first half but when FC Clacton did break, the defence was strong with Tarren Grint making a lot of important challenges. There was good link up play throughout for both teams aswell as amazing communication from the lads to make sure their opposition couldn’t break through.

The second half started pretty much the way the first ended with attacking possession from the Royals creating chance after chance. Kyle Baker had an early chance but could only find the side netting.

Ross Catchpole took a knock in the second half and he was replaced with Nathan Russell who made an immediate impact. Robert Horton had a chance from range but went just wide of the far post. Horton went on to find Russell who made a fantastic run into the box, took a shot but the goalkeeper collected comfortably.

FC Clacton equalised a minute from time after a cross found Aaron Condon who kept good composure in front of goal to slot past Jordan Smith for the equaliser.

Speaking to manager Jamie Godbold after the match, about his team's first performance of the new season: "I thought particularly first half we were by far the better team and perhaps could have gone in 2 maybe 3 goals ahead. I thought we were the better footballing side, but I mean come second half we had our backs against the wall for long periods and I thought we dealt with that really well, and maybe just a lack of concentration in the last minute and probably more inexperience than anything in terms of managing the game in the final few minutes cost us. But look, we're a work in progress and we're going to come up against it and make mistakes, and today bar the last minute we were almost a complete performance in terms of creating chances and keeping them out at the other end. So yeah, we're nearly there".

KPFC TEAM: J Smith, T Grint, C Bond, G Mansbridge, M Brown, R Catchpole (N Russell, 49), M Kirkby (A Martin, 65), R Horton, G Williams, K Baker, R King (C). Subs not used: N Hurren, J Herbert, J Godbold.

Kirkley & Pakefield’s next match is away to Norwich United on Tuesday evening. Kick off 19.45. Their next home match will be Saturday against Brightlingsea Regent. Kick off is at 15.00.

Amy Mitchell
KPFC Press Officer

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 10, Aug 2013






Premier Division