Sat 22
1st XV
L Granger (2), T Jones (2)
G McDermott
S Hunt
Kidderminster v Leek Match Report

Kidderminster v Leek Match Report

By Michael Whitehouse
Share via

Last Saturday Leek RUFC 1st team visited Kidderminster Carolians RUFC in the 1st round of the RFU intermediate cup who play at the same standard in the South Midland league.

It was lovely sunny day with Leek starting with Jamie Gordon , Luke Granger and James Milner in the front row and Tom Sims and captain Tom Hine as locks which allowed Simon Drew , Matt Slinn and Andy Mcfadden to take up the back rows positions .Dan Need ham continued at scrum half alongside his partner Gary Mcdermott ,due to an injury with George Hunt this allowed Ian Harris to return to the centre alongside Shane Dickers. Sam Hunt returned to full back with Nick Palmer and Fijian Tom Jones taking the wing positions.

Kidderminster were clearly a bigger side within the pack and this game was going to be won for Leek dependant on what ball the backs could obtain. On 10 minutes Leek forwards controlled the ball which was passed along the lines into the hands of Jones who used his power to take 2 tackles and pass to Mcdermott who body swerved around a couple of players to score the first try, however he failed to score the conversion. This was wake up call for Kidderminster and from the kick off they stole the ball off Leek and kicked to the 5 metre line , from the lineout they were able to use their pack power and score a well-constructed try to take the to score 5-5 , again Kidderminster failed to convert which was an issue for them all game.

At this stage Leek were struggling to get hold of the ball as kidder minister style of off load play was difficult to stop as there handling was strong , however Leek continued to be determined and on 22 mins Mcdermott was able to convert a penalty to go 5-8 .On 28 mins after an earlier warning from the ref ,Harris was sin binned for 10 mins for offside which was going to test Leek defensive skills .Prior to half time Kidderminster were able to score another try to take a 10-8 half time lead.

On the start of the second Half , Harris returned with Slinn being replaced due to a shoulder injury this allowed James Hall to move into the second row and Sims to move to flanker .On the kick off Kidderminster again controlled the ball and with some flowing off load play they were able to score another well taken try to take a 15-8 lead .Captain Hine had a few stern words to say and more a less immediately Needham took control of the ball and with darting run passed the ball to powerhouse Granger who was able to miss a couple of tackles and use his speed from the half way line to score a great try under the posts which Mcdermott duly converted to get Leek back on level score at 15-15.

However this created a reaction from Kidderminster and during the next 20 minutes they scored 4 tries which were all similar in style using their well drilled off load style of play .During this period Leek bought on Bourne and winger Adam Smith as rolling replacements .Leek continued to show determination in the game and were always willing to try different options and on 70 mins Granger was able to fend off a couple of tackles to pass to Jones who used his power and speed in the corner , Hunt missed a difficult conversion .This appeared to fire Leek up with some controlled aggression, Granger lead from the front and again he scored to take the final score to 35 -25 , the conversion was missed .After the game captain Hine said " this game was always going to be tough as Kidderminster had a powerful pack and used the off load well, however we did not embarrass ourselves.

Next Saturday Leek return to league action at F Ball Park at home to Bridgnorth RUFC, 3pm kick off. Prior to the game there will be Ladies event, bar to open at 1.15pm with buffet , please support the club

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 22, Sep 2012