Sat 21
1st XV
Crewe & Nantwich


By Michael Whitehouse
Share via

  Leek’s woes continued on Saturday at EsterChem Park as C&N inflicted one of the heaviest home defeats in recent memory, scoring 7 tries, converting 5 and not conceding. 

Nick Palmer, George Hunt and Matt Leadingham started as the back 3 with Tom Scragg moving to 12, partnering Sam Hunt in the centres. 
Kini Bulli and Gary McDermott were at half back. 
Bobby Cheadle, Ed Cheadle and Ad Smith were in the front row and Luke Hardern and Ben Barlow were at lock.  
Luke Staton was back on the flank with Any Thompson and Jack Conlon at No.8. 
Dan Sharratt, Jake Bainbridge and Simon Drew were on the bench. 
Before the game, the players and spectators paid respects to Leek player, Andy Hall who had sadly passed away in the week. 
The whole club wishes his family condolences at this time. 
The game kicked off in blustery conditions and raining and for the first 18 minutes of the game, no-one could have expected the final result as both teams probed in midfield without either gaining the upper hand. 
Then a scrum to C&N outside Leek’s 22 saw a neat introduction of the full back into the line and a missed tackle allowed the right wing to score in the corner. The conversion missed but the deadlock was broken at 0-5. 
On 25 minutes, Leek conceded the 2nd try with an unlucky ricochet. C&N won a ruck in midfield and a kick aimed through the Leek backs was half charged down but landed at the feet of the centre. His immediate kick ahead in goal was spotted first by the wing again and he won the race for the touchdown. The conversion was good and C&N led 0-12. 
The rest of the half was played out between the 22s mainly with Leek showing little attacking guile when they had the ball and C&N coping comfortably with any threat. 
  Half time – 0-12. 
  The 2nd half opened poorly for Leek and they were punished 3 minutes from kick off when the excellent C&N 10 kicked through to the right wing in goal for the wing to score again without a Leek defender near. The 10 converted superbly and C&N were beginning to build an unassailable lead. 0-19. 

Pressure on the Leek line on 52 minutes, led to a couple of penalties which Leek defended well but the final penalty, the defence couldn’t stop as the C&N 9 quick tapped and crashed over to secure the bonus point try on 53 minutes. The conversion was good. 0-26 
Matt Leadingham moved to 9 as Kini Bulli went off injured with Sam Hunt moving to 10. 
On 65 minutes, the C&N forwards were rucking close to the Leek line and whilst the defence held for so long, the inevitable happened as the lock forced his way over. The conversion was good. 0-33. 
On 71 minutes, Leek lost its own lineout on the 22 and 2 rucks later, the defence was sucked in for the backs to run the ball right for the 15 to score in the corner. The conversion missed. 0-38. 
Finally with the last play on 85 minutes, a tired Leek side conceded its 7th try under the posts as the rampant C&N backs displayed their accurate skills again. The conversion was good to close the game at 0-45. 
This is a game best forgotten by the Leek team and hopefully put it down to a bad day at the office but taking nothing away from the excellent way C&N went about their business. 
Leek will have to be a lot better this week when they welcome Lincoln to EsterChem Park in the 3rd round of the Midlands Group Intermediate
 Cup. This game kicks off at 2-15pm
Author John McDermott

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 21, Oct 2017




Midlands 2 West (North)

League position

Crewe & Nantwich