Sat 25
1st XV
Berkswell and Balsall


By Michael Whitehouse
Share via

Leek delivered an all round improved performance to beat B&B and take the maximum points in the last minute. The win moved Leek to 5th as the first

Jake Green moved back to scrum half this week to partner Gary McDermott at half back. Liam McDermott was back at 12 with Nick Palmer at 13. James Floyd, Jack Newton Taylor and Sam Hunt made up the back 3.
Simon Mcnicol was back at tight head prop with Bobby Cheadle starting at hooker and Jason Milner on the loose head side.
Ed Harrison and Phil Tomczak were at lock. Luke Hardern was No.8, Luke Staton on the blind side and Andy Thomson started at open side flank.
On the bench, John Brooks was back with Matt Slinn and Naz Narawa making a welcome return.

The game kicked off in the rain and when it stopped, the low sun was in the Leek faces. Leek gave a 4th minute penalty away at the first scrum and the B&B 10 successfully opened the scoring at 0-3.
On 7 minutes, Jack Newton Taylor chased his own clearance kick and made a good tackle on the full back which won Leek a penalty for a slow release. Gary McDermott slotted the 40 metre kick to draw Leek level at 3 all.
Leek took the lead on 15 minutes after good pressure on the B&B 22 resulted in an offside and McDermott added the points. 6-3.
The next 15 minutes saw Leek making some sweeping moves and creating some good chances but B&Bs defence held until Leek mauled to the B&B 5 metre line on 29 minutes. An in at the side offence allowed McDermott to kick for the line on the 5 metre line. Andy Thomson caught the throw, but B&Bs pack brought the man down immediately , so the ball moved to the backs where the McDermott brothers combined to get Liam over the line for the first try after a couple of rucks. Jake Green converted and Leek's lead extended to 13-3.
Back came B&B on 35 minutes and they won a penalty outside Leek's 22. A quick tap saw them move to Leek's 5 metre line but a good steal allowed Leek to clear.
The half ended sweetly for Leek after Luke Staton broke out of his own 22 on 40 minutes. The big flanker got over the half way but was ably supported and with patience Leek worked the ball right where Jake Green's pass to Nick Palmer had the outside centre outsprinting the cover defence for a try in the right corner. Green's conversion missed as the half time whistle blew on a good score line for Leek at 18-3.
5 minutes into the 2nd half and B&B won a penalty at the scrum on half way for losing the binding. The full back kicked superbly for lineout on Leek's 5 metre line. Leek expected the B&B maul off the line out and stopped it forcefully, but the B&Bs moved the ball quickly and Leek's forwards infringed again as the B&B pack threatened the line. It resulted in a yellow card for Luke Hardern for offside. The resulting line out maul though was again superbly halted by Leek's pack and a scrum allowed the home side to clear.
More pressure in the next 5 minutes and another lineout close to Leek's line was again rebuffed by Leek's pack. Again on 57 minutes, a late tackle allowed another chance for a lineout 10 metres from Leek's line, but Andy Thomson skipped through the line to secure the ball for Leek and an eventual clearance.

On 61 minutes, having soaked up a fair amount of pressure, Leek had a scrum on their own 10 metre line. Miss moves in the centre created the overlap as Sam Hunt came into the line and passed well on the B&Bs 22 for James Floyd to barge his way over the line for Leek's 3rd try in the right corner. Jake Green converted and Leek had opened up to 25-3.
Still, this was a competitive match and both sides were trying hard to create openings but slowly Leek were upping the pressure on B&B and on 71 minutes a penalty in B&Bs 22 for slowing the ball at the ruck had Jake Green increasing Leek's lead with the simple penalty. 28-3.

3 minutes later and a B&B penalty for offside at the maul gave the visitors another line out on Leek's 5 metre line. This time, Leek couldn't prevent the B&Bs forward momentum and the prop crashed over for a deserved try. The conversion was missed but B&B had reduced the deficit to 25-8.
From the kick off, Jack Newton Taylor crucially won the ball back for Leek. Quick rucking had Leek up to the B&B 22 and another penalty came for slowing the ball down. This time a quick tap from Jake Green had James Floyd slicing his way past defenders before another ruck and quick pass saw Luke Hardern on the charge to crash over in the right corner for the decisive 4th try for Leek. Jake Green converted superbly again to end the scoring at 35-8.
B&Bs had one final chance for a score after the No8 broke from a scrum but he was tackled in the act of scoring and the ball went forward for Leek to end the game at the scrum.

This had been another entertaining game at EsterChem Park with both sides playing at pace and looking to run the ball and be positive. The game had been played in a great spirit with some good skills on show as well.

In other games, Newport maintained their 100% record with a home win against Barkers Butts. Worcester Wanderers kept up the challenge with a win at Stratford. Hereford beat Earlsdon, Stoke beat Walsall and Whitchurch won at Silhillians. Kenilworth held 4th place with a home win against Crewe.
This Saturday, Leek visit Crewe for what promises to be another great clash between the 2 sides promoted from 2 West last season.
Please come and show your support for the Moorlanders.
Kick off is at 2.15pm as November matches start.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 25, Oct 2014




Midlands 1 West