Sat 27
First Team
Town progress in the Gladwish Challenge Trophy

Town progress in the Gladwish Challenge Trophy

By Andrew Parker
Share via

MATCH REPORT By Max Bradfield Town progress in the Gladwish Challenge Trophy Totternhoe 1 – 4 Leighton Town

Leighton Town beat Totternhoe FC on Saturday 1 – 4 to progress to the second round of the SSMFL Gladwish Challenge Trophy. In an earlier than usual 2pm kick off, Town overcame a well drilled opposition in front of an estimated 250-plus crowd.
Fresh off the back of an assertive midweek victory against London Colney, Leighton began proceedings at the Recreation Ground on the front foot. Tom Bryant and Ashton Campbell had the home goal in their sights, but their early offerings inside the first ten minutes were nothing more than speculative. On 27 minutes, Campbell had another shot. This time on target – it forced a smart save from the Totternhoe goalkeeper.
Despite the early run of play, the home side held out and even got the first goal of the game on 33 minutes. A great through ball found a Totternhoe forward who broke away and put the ball in the top corner to stun the visitors. Leighton needed to regroup and regroup they did, as it didn’t take long to get back on level terms. After defiant continued pressure from going behind, it was Tom Silford who had the ball in the net on 41 minutes – giving Leighton something to build on going into the break.
At half time, Town introduced Archie McClelland for Ross Adams. After a relatively quiet gritty spell in the second half’s first exchanges – Town’s second change of the game would be the next event of note. On 56 minutes, Brian Foulger came off for Joe Fitzgerald. The changes were welcomed for Town and only a mere three minutes later saw more action and Leighton’s second goal – a tidy finish from Tom Bryant.
Just after his goal, that man Bryant would be involved again. Leighton countered from a good Totternhoe spell – and the goal scorer cut the ball back to Archie McClelland. The substitute attempted an audacious chip, but it was just too high. Following this chance, the game was back into a familiar hard-fought spell.
On 80 minutes, Freddie Heeps was brought into the action for Tom Silford and just after this change – there was a Leighton chance. 82 minutes saw Alfie Osborne hit a beckoning ball on the volley just over from the edge of the box. Close, but now Bonham’s men could smell blood and the opportunity to add to their two goals was there.
The third goal came on the 85th minute through Josh Hatton. Receiving the ball on the penalty spot, he skilfully took it past his marker before coolly slotting home into the bottom left corner. The tails were up here and before another five minutes had passed, Ashton Campbell added to his side’s late flurry of goals. A great cross from Finley Peart on the right was headed back across the face by McClelland. Campbell arrived and finished from close range for Leighton’s fourth and final goal of the game.
After this win, Leighton Town now face Ampthill in the next round. That game is scheduled for the 14th of December. The next league challenge comes in the form of 3rd placed New Salamis this Saturday back at Bell Close.
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 27, Nov 2021