INFORMATION SHEET w/c MONDAY, 21st JANUARY , 2019
Thursday, 24th January Mawdesley WI’s Birthday Party
Names: L.Daniels, M.Halliday, Sue Jennings, D.Rowland
G.Carson, B.Freedman, R.Hill, R.Smith, D.Thompson, A.Tipping,
Kit: YELLOW sash on LEFT shoulder, shoes & bellpads
N.B. _Please remove arm and leg ribbons (to let them see how the
Mawdesley Morris Dancers would have looked over 100 years ago)
Venue: Mawdesley Village Hall, Hurst Green, Mawdesley, L40 2QT
As you enter the main part of the village Hurst Green is the first turning on
the right. The village hall is sign-posted.
Meet: FOR 7:30 pm START.
Details: One of our playing/singing/dancing & joining-in events. Included will be a
small exhibition of photos showing the link between the Leyland and the
Mawdesley Morris teams, just to add an extra bit of interest.
We’re invited to share in the celebratory supper afterwards.
Monday, 28th January
Next practice session.
Monday, 4th February
Practice & next Info. Sheet, which will include details for the booking at Longridge Historical Society on Thursday, 7th February.
Most of you will already have had a message from Mike asking if you’d be available on Saturday (evening), 23rd February at 7 pm for about an hour and a half for a ‘do’ at the Mormon church in the Fulwood area. Younger clientele than a WI; opportunity for recruitment (?). PLEASE RESPOND A.S.A.P. (tho’ Mike’s away until the weekend)
Revised list of other dates & events to be considered:-
Monday, 6th May – Scorton Bikes & Barrows Festival
Saturday, 18th May – proposed we run our own Morris Taster Workshop
Saturday, 13th July – Malkin MD’s Tour of Pendle villages
Saturday, 27th July (am) – Springfield Nursing Home, Coppull
Saturday, 7th September – Singleton Cloggers’ Day of Dance
Please indicate availability on Mike’s sheet when it’s on the noticeboard.
He’s also appreciate any info. you can give regarding likely holiday dates.
Odds & Ends
1. Don’t forget that the Friends of Folk organisation has a new home: Fox Lane Sports & Social Club (a.k.a. Leyland Cricket Club). Full details of all 8 concerts can be found at www.friendsoffolk.org.uk
2. Had you happened to be watching ‘The Victorian House of Arts & Crafts’ on BBC 2 on Saturday, 12th January, you’d have seen ‘Lads A Bunchum’ (Adderbury) being danced by a Herefordshire team – and as they seemed to have an oak tree as their logo I assume it would be Lassington Oak MM. (If you remember young James...... who came along a few times a couple of years back: that was his – and his Dad’s – team.)
3. From last week’s Committee meeting: Len Daniels was re-elected Chairman.
4. It was also proposed that we run an open-to-all Morris Taster Workshop on Sat. 18th May at Leyland Sports & Social Club, Fox Lane, or at St Andrew’s Hall. Should the event be successful it would mean we may have to consider introducing ladies into the team. Whether this would be an issue to anyone is something we may need to reflect upon. (We already have the precedent of the St James’s, Moss Side, team of the 1940s & ‘50s.)
5. Our thanks to Roy Hill who represented the team at the recent funeral of Ken Bretherton, a member of that St James’s team.