Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Lincoln City FC Youth Academy app


FA Youth Cup: Lincoln City 1 Port Vale 0

By Derek Priestley

An early Jack Fixter goal in the FA Youth Cup sees the Imps progress to the second round.

Port Vale were delayed due to traffic congestion in Lincoln, Theo Louth mascot for the evening led the teams out 30 minutes after the scheduled start, with the formalities complete under the guidance of referee Mr Meredith it was Port Vale who got the game underway attacking the Stacey West Stand.

The first corner of the game came in the 1st minute to Vale but this was cleared and deflected out for an Imps throw, from the resultant throw Jack McMenemy played the ball out wide to Lewis Millington his cross was cleared by Vale's defence. Jenk Acar had a cross blocked in the 4th minute, the Imps had started well putting Vale under pressure early.

With 6 minutes gone Leon Loftus played the ball down the right McMenemy gave chase and forced Vale to concede a throw, this was played to Acar his cross into the box was half cleared, Jack Fixter made the ball his with an outstretched foot which took him into the penalty area with the ball coming back to him off a defender his fierce shot found the bottom right corner after a slight deflection to put the Imps a goal to the good.

Lincoln continued to push forward Ryley Thompson this time down the line for McMenemy to once again chase he managed to keep it in and his cross towards Millington was just intercepted by Vale's centre half. A corner for the Imps played in by Reece Robinson-Jones, Fixter following up on a loose ball but his shot was blocked well, the ball was playwed back into the box Vale defender swung his foot at it and it looped back into the hands of the keeper, Vale's defence were looking a bit shaky.

With two breaks in play so Loftus and Jack Weatherell could receive treatment, the latter taking a nasty knock after a strong but fair challenge. Vale started to get into the game after 20 minutes, Loftus blocked a cross and the resultant corner was then cleared with a flying header by him.

Weatherell fouled again in the centre circle, Fixter's free kick forced right back Gibbons miscue wildly and out for a Imps corner, the delivery into the box caused problems and it rattled around in the six yard box but there was no finish and Vale clear. Neither team were getting the ball down and playing, another Imps chance, this time McMenemy was bearing down on the keeper after a through ball, Pickering came out of his area and blocked his effort.

Thompson was continually being tested by Vale but he dealt well with all that was coming his way and his good defending in holding off the Vale attacker resulted in a goal kick for the Imps. With half time approaching Loftus recovered well to deny Vale from getting in and around Lincoln's penalty area, Vale launched the ball forward but Richard Walton in the Imps goal collected on the edge of his area, his clearance saw the ref blow for half time.

Imps 1 Port Vale 0

With the teams out for the second half and Lincoln's Acar was replaced by Calum Stewart, it was Vale who created the first opening a deep cross with Ede's header on the far post was tipped over the bar by Walton, successive throw ins on the right for Vale saw Fixter clear, the ball falling to Conlon but his long range effort untroubled Walton.

Vale were beginning to apply pressure and look for the equaliser, the centre half partnership of Fixter and Weatherell were commanding in the air and on the floor, Vale's best chance fell to an unmarked Calveley who was just a couple of yards out but his header somehow went wide with the goal gaping after a good ball in from a corner.

With an hour played a long range effort from Morris went well wide after good work down the right, Millington then somehow hit the bar from a tight angle with a cross come shot, unsure whether the keeper got a slight touch.

The first yellow card of the game was shown to Conlon who clattered Fixter in the back who then fell awkwardly luckily he was ok to continue, he was soon to be penalised for handball, the free kick played short but Vale failed to keep it and Lincoln clear, Vale start again and were starting have good possession but not really create any clear cut chances. Fixter and Weatherell both called upon time and time again with some industrial defending at times.

Archie Moyses replaced Loftus on 70 minutes and now with just 10 minutes remaining, McMenemy had a decent chance to increase City's lead but he shot into the side netting when Robinson-Jones was well placed for a pull back, Millington then tried to find McMenemy through the centre but his chest control wasn't quite good enough and saw the ball run through to the keeper.

Vale had gone to impromptu multi-ball trying to force the tempo to get on the scoresheet, Thompson defended well again from a deep cross then Turner did really well to beat 3 Imps defender's in the box to create space for himself on the angle some 10 yards from goal but his shot went out for a throw.

Vale were getting desperate now with several crosses coming in from deep but Walton on each occasion claimed comfortably and could slow the game down, with 4 minutes of added time played the referee blew the final whistle to give the Imps a one-nil victory, some good defending ensuring progress into the next round where they will meet Wigan Athletic in Round 2.

Lincoln City: Walton (c), Loftus, Thompson, Robinson-Jones, Fixter, Weatherell, Millington, Harris, McMenemy, Acar, Clarke. Substitutes: Stewart, Moyses, Andersen, Horton, Start.

Goalscorer: Fixter

Port Vale: Pickering, Gibbons, Morris, Calveley, Faulkner, Attrell, Conlon, Ede, Turner, Mottram, Ashton. Substitutes: Slinn, Barton, Walford, Fraser, Dennis.

Officials: Mr S Meredith, Mr S Mason and Mr D Hunt.

Other Round One Results can be found HERE

Updated 23:48 - 3 Nov 2015 by Derek Priestley

Where next?

YANE: Rotherham United v Youth's 7th November The Imps travel to Rotherham United in the Football League Youth Alliance North East fixture.
English Football League Youth Alliance Weekend Round Up Results from this weekend's English Football League Youth Alliance


Loading comments

Sat 27 Apr
U18 Youth Team Bradford City
League 11:00
Sat 4 May
U18 Youth Team Grimsby Town
League 11:00


Club sponsor