Men's - First Team
Sat 24 Feb 2024  ·  Premier Division North
Lincoln United FC
Men's - First Team
Heanor Town


Charlie Fytche2 Mar - 12:12
Share via

Twitter: @LincolnUnited | Facebook: @LincolnUnited | Instagram: @LincolnUnitedFootballClub

Lincoln United battled to a hard-fought fourth straight victory, beating Heanor Town 2-0 at the Sun-hat Villas and Resorts Stadium with a brilliant second-half performance.

Despite losing their last league game on February 7, The Whites came into the game on the back of three successive cup wins so were in good spirits, especially after continuing their Wembley dream with a penalty shoot-out win over Hallam last weekend.

The visitors to Ashby Avenue were Heanor Town, who were the side who inflicted that 5-2 defeat on Lincoln earlier in the month. Although their mid-table position doesn’t tell the story of their recent good form as the Lions travelled following five wins in seven.


There was a fast tempo to the opening exchanges making it clear the midfield battle was going to be key to winning this one.

Ted Gibbons and Billy Brooks carried the early threat for The Whites, combining well down the left wing to create a half-chance for the young striker. Although Heanor was well in it from the off, several James Taylor crosses were a danger to a robust Lincoln defence.

Tobias Liversidge came closest to breaking the deadlock on 21 minutes as some delightful trickery allowed him a shooting opportunity just inside the Heanor box, but the winger dragged his effort wide.

On 25 minutes there was a real flashpoint as Jack McMenemy was taken out when through on goal by on-rushing goalkeeper Louis Kinnerley, who had found himself in no man’s land on the edge of his box. There were huge shouts for a red card from the Lincoln players but after deliberation with the linesman referee Andrew Cuthbert showed only a yellow card.

A frustrating moment for manager Chris Funnell followed as right-back Harry Millard was forced off injured on the half-hour mark. Pierce Hudson replaced him.

The game fell into somewhat of a stalemate after that with both sides not wanting to go into the break behind. Ted Gibbons had a shot from a distance that was well blocked but other than that it was very even as the sides went in at half-time.


Heanor had a big penalty shout early on, but the offside flag prevented the referee from having to make a decision.

The Whites were looking to stamp their authority early on in the half and Leo Priestley’s set-piece ability seemed a good way to do it. A couple of dangerous free kicks caused The Lions back four some real issues, but they held strong to keep the game level.

Then on 53 minutes a goalkeeping howler from Louis Kinnerley gifted Lincoln United the lead. A poor kick was initially blocked by Billy Brooks and the keeper couldn’t get it under control at all, allowing Tobias Liversidge an empty net to thump the ball home.

Heanor were not to be put down easily though and James Taylor was denied an equaliser from a corner on 61 minutes by a fantastic Steggles save.

On 64 minutes though it was The Whites who doubled their lead. Another defensive mishap from Heanor allowed Evan Payne a free header to nod goalward. It appeared to have been cleared off the line, but the linesman indicated the ball had crossed the line and Lincoln United were two to the good.

Jack McMenemy threatened to put the game out of sight with 15 minutes to play as Liversidge found him in the area. The striker span and shot only to find the foot of the post.

There was then a masterclass in game management from The Whites, keeping the ball and disrupting any momentum Heanor attempted to build.

A real quality second half from Lincoln was enough to secure all three points and make it four wins in four in four different competitions.

Lincoln United 2-0 Heanor Town:

It was a game that required real patience from Chris Funnell’s side as a frustrating first half could have unsettled them. However, they stuck to their principles and found a much improved second-half performance to find a way to win.

Goalkeeping errors didn’t help Heanor, who acquitted themselves well against one of the league’s top sides.

Lincoln stays ten points off adrift of Sherwood Colliery at the top of the table but with three games in hand on their title rivals. They travel to struggling Pinchbeck United in midweek before a big game away at high-flying Loughborough next weekend.

Written by: Thomas Westcott

Photo Credit: Ed Mayes Photography

Match details

Match date

Sat 24 Feb 2024




Premier Division North

League position

Lincoln United
Heanor Town
Team overview
Further reading

Team Sponsors

Platinum Partner - Men's Home Kit & Women's Home and Away Kit - T.R. Weston & Son Ltd
Men's Tracksuit Sponsor & Men's training kit - Lincs Joinery Services Ltd
Pitchside Partner - Pinnacle Plumbing & Heating
Pitchside Partner - Trojan Safety and Risk Management
Pitchside Partner - Lawless Civils Limited
Player Sponsor - Bright Media
Players of the Match and Match Ball Plinth  - McGovern Assessments