Don’t have an account?Register
Powered By
Sun 12
Ilkeston Town Ladies
Women's - First Team
T Duxbury-Mead (9'), (29'), (64'), L Churcher (26'), D Barai (92')


By Chris Hough
Share via

Twitter: @LincolnUtdWFC | Facebook: @LincolnUnitedWFC | Instagram: @LincolnUnitedWFC

‘The Whites’ managed to make their way past an impressive Ilkeston Town team to claim their place in the final of the League Cup.

They started very slowly and fell a goal behind after three minutes. Rosie Davidson’s kick encountered the wind and landed to the feet of an Ilkeston attacker. She fired the ball past Davidson into the corner.

Ilkeston Town Ladies 1 - 0 #TheWhites

However, United didn’t take long to reply and only six minutes later levelled the score through a brilliant Tracey Duxbury-Mead goal. She was played through by a long ball, but as she saw the defender catching up to her, she cut inside before smashing the ball past the out-stretched arm of the keeper.

Ilkeston Town Ladies 1 - 1 #TheWhites

The visitors began to take control of the game after an even beginning. Lauren Churcher started to create chances for Ellie Gilliatt but she couldn’t manage to provide the clinical finish. In the 26th minute, Gilliatt became the provider for Churcher after good work from Frankie Wilson. Churcher was played in between the defence and fired the ball across the keeper to give the away side the lead.

Ilkeston Town Ladies 1 - 2 #TheWhites

Only three minutes later ‘The Whites’ doubled their advantage. Annie Ward’s header smashed into the crossbar, Duxbury-Mead couldn’t find a way past the keeper before a home defender kicked the ball away from her keeper’s hands and this time Duxbury-Mead found the back of the net.

Ilkeston Town Ladies 1 - 3 #TheWhites

A worrying moment came as Davidson went down injured after a collision with an onrushing attacker. Thankfully she was able to continue after a period of time down.

Ilkeston came back into the game before halftime but the visitors’ defence managed the prevent them pulling a goal back.

Ilkeston Town Ladies 1 - 3 Lincoln United WFC (HT)

However, it only took the hosts three minutes of the second half to grab their second goal. An unfortunate deflection took the ball past Davidson as she was already diving in the opposite direction.

Ilkeston Town Ladies 2 - 3 #TheWhites

Betsy Thomas came on to replace Kaitlin Peaker and was heavily involved on the left wing. After conceding, United upped their tempo and began peppering the opposition goal with shots. The sustained pressure eventually resulted in a goal in the 64th minute. Gilliatt claimed her second assist as she dribbled into the box before playing across to Duxbury-Mead to tap in and complete her hat trick.

Ilkeston Town Ladies 2 - 4 #TheWhites

Two more changes came as Tallulah Freeman and Sally Cairns replaced Duxbury-Mead and Demi Barai. A few minutes later Barai returned to the action in place of Megan Long.

With the last kick of the game, the away side made it five through Barai. She expertly controlled Cairns’ cross from the left before smashing the ball past the keeper.

Ilkeston Town Ladies 2 - 5 #TheWhites

A second later the referee brought an end to the game and signalled ‘The Whites’ progression into their second cup final of the season.

Ilkeston Town Ladies 2 - 5 Lincoln United WFC (FT)

They will have to wait until 21st May to play Arnold Eagles in the final, but will be able to use next Sunday’s game at home to the Eagles to practice.

Match report by James Ede, photo credit Ed Mayes Photograpy

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sun 12, Mar 2023


Ellie Gilliatt

Star Player

Ellie Gilliatt