Sat 29
1st Team
Lanner 18 v Liskeard-Looe 12

Lanner 18 v Liskeard-Looe 12

By Barry Mumford
Share via

Losing bonus point

Last Saturday The Lions were on the road travelling to Redruth to play Lanner in the fifth round of matches in the Cornwall/Devon league, with some changes to the side that took the field the previous week, and saw the return to the fullback berth of Jordan Smith with Treve Murley switching to centre in place of unavailable Nick Parker, Jack Badnall coming into the front row and the return from injury of Yestin Hutchings in the second row. The home side made a good start and went into the lead in the twelfth minute when they put together a passing move, off the back of a scrum, to score an unconverted try in the corner. Liskeard immediately had the chance to cut the deficit when Lanner gave away a penalty, straight from the restart, but the attempt at goal was unfortunately missed. For the next twenty-six minutes it was a case of “cat and mouse” with neither side being able to get the upper hand, then in the thirty-eighth minute gave away a penalty, inside their own twenty-two, the kick at goal was slotted to take the score to 8-0 at the break. It had been a frustrating half for Liskeard as they had worked their way into the home twenty-two on several occasions but fell foul of the referees whistle close to the try-line each time.
Into the second half and Lanner went further ahead with a penalty just inside the visitors half and with the short pitch a shot at goal was taken and slotted to make it 11-0. The Lions came back but still couldn’t make any headway against a stubborn defence then on seventy minutes following a high tackle on a Lanner player a penalty try was awarded to the home side and Liskeard were reduced to 14 men for the remainder of the game. This galvanised Liskeard and they upped the tempo a little and forced Lanner into giving away a penalty and Liskeard kicked for touch, from the ensuing line-out a catch and drive move saw an unconverted try scored by number eight Gareth Cooke. Following the restart Liskeard winger Billy Edwards received the ball deep inside his own twenty-two and went on a superb run, taking the ball inside the home half, then linked up with the other threes and after a couple of pop passes centre Naita Timoci ran in for a try from twenty-four metres and this was converted by scrum half Ieuan Evans to take the score 18-12. Unfortunately this was too little too late and The Lions ran out of time when the final whistle blew, but at least it was a losing bonus point for Liskeard. The 2nd XV should have been playing their counter parts from Tamar Saracens but this match had to be cancelled as “Sarries” couldn’t raise a side and no other fixture was available. The next match for Liskeard is this coming Saturday at Lux Park with the visitor being Hayle in the sixth round of matches; the 2nd Xv is also in action with an away game against Peninsular Medical School n Plymouth, brought forward from the scheduled date of October 27th kick off times for both games still to be arranged but will most probably be 1500.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 29, Sep 2018




Tribute Cornwall/Devon

League position