Online Kit Shop - CLUB SHOPClub Sponsor - Caunce O'Hara Insurance BrokersYour Local Golf Club - Whittaker Golf Club
Sat 09
Littleborough 1st XV
Match Report Saturday 9th February 19; LittleboroughRUFC 3pts v Aldwinians RUFC 11pts.

Match Report Saturday 9th February 19; LittleboroughRUFC 3pts v Aldwinians RUFC 11pts.

By Trevor Joiner
Share via

From overnight rain and strong wind, Boro still went ahead with their revised match at Rakewood and fortunately the ground condition was quite good. Unfortunately however they couldn’t repeat the positive result gained a fortnight back.

Early on the match was contained around the halfway line with both Teams equally involved and the Visitors doing a lot of talking and ball kicking down the field. Then Boro’s right winger followed up well when the ball was kicked well into the opponent’s half and after 13minutes Boro was given a penalty but unfortunately Fullback Nathan Coop’s attempt to convert just failed. Now Boro forwards getting involved with Mathew Goldthorpe on attack with ball in hand in visitors 22metres area. Now it was the turn of Boro’s Scrum Half, Chris Kolbuck with strong tackle on his opposite number at base of scrum. This was followed by quite a long delay due to head injury to visitor’s player, who eventually was helped off the field and substituted. Match recommenced and Chris Hough got involved with taking freekicks to touch, whilst Winger David Kearns made a good catch of the ball and put in a strong run. Eventually Nathan Coop, after some 33minutes play, made a successful penalty attempt to put Boro in the lead. Still defending well with Boro’s Mark Murgatroyd making strong effective tackle then back on attack with good distance kick from Nathan Coop who followed up and made a good tackle on visitors’ fullback when collecting the ball. Now the turn of the visitors Left Winger making a good run down in Boro’s half and not long after the Visitors gained a penalty which they converted to make the score 3points each after 45minutes play in the first half.

The second half commenced bringing on Andy Walton for Boro and now Boro had the advantage of playing with the slight slope. Unfortunately however it was the Visitors who stepped up their game and after 10minutes into the half they crossed the line for the first and only Try of the afternoon, without converting, to take the lead. Now Boro on back foot and Chris Hough was seen making strong tackle and gave Boro the chance to advance forwards. However, the Visitors now more in charge and they were playing Boro more back in their own half and with just about a quarter of the game left the Visitors gained another successful Penalty to bring the score 3pts to 11pts. Now Boro made several more player changes but it was down to Mathew Goldthorpe again to make a good attacking run, which was followed with Boro applying pressure in Visitors 10metres area but just couldn.t turn it into points and then the final whistle went.

Now Boro have a week to go before they play Host to their nearest rivals, Oldham RUFC and they must use this time to train to produce a collective Team effort !

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 09, Feb 2019




ADM Premier Division

League position