Fri 27
Welshpool Town
First Team
B White (35'), T Evans (43'), M Griffiths (65'), I Matthews (80'), C Aitken (88')
League Cup Success

League Cup Success

By Mel Roberts
Share via

Llan prevail in 9 goal thriller

"Our Spar League Cup opponents were Welshpool Town FC where we had to make the short trip to take on Russell Cadwallader's side - our third meeting this season with them taking maximum league points off us. We were without Gary Meredith, Barry Morris, Wayne Austin who were all unavailable due to work commitments, Matthew Evans away continuing his university studies, Jack Brayne and recent signing, Tom Coulson out due to injuries. Heavy late afternoon rain had made the playing conditions very tricky - even though the playing surface did hold up well, considering. Our opponents were full of confidence from the off but during the early exchanges it was ourselves who had the better openings - but not able to take advantage of. A slight distraction to both sides was the one floodlight system being taken out of action due to an electrical fault - however play was allowed to continue by the officials. A lapse of concentration in our defence allowed Pool to take the lead and minutes later they doubled their score. Although the scoreline flattered the home side we continued to drive forward and it was our skipper, Ben White who out jumped the home defence to head home, halving the deficit. We were now pushing forward at every opportunity but also being very aware of their threat that they had up top. Five minutes from the half time whistle, Tom Evans scored (his first of the season) our second bringing us level at 2 each. No further score was added in the remainder of the first half. The mood in our changing room was very positive and up beat - and we were confident that we could go on and win this tie. With the second half underway and both sides being totally committed, tackles were sharp, sometimes being on the edge but both teams just got on with it (even though Pete Jones - who had an excellent game - was deemed to have gone to far by the ref and received a booking, as it was very clear and seen by all that he'd won the ball fairly). From their defence, Pool broke quickly down their right and their No11 played a ball across our 6yard box for Joe Coulson to slide the ball home at the far post - 3-2 up. But again we continued to push forward, looking to pull level and we didn't have to wait long for it. their keeper failed to deal with a strike and Marc Griffiths pounced onto the loose ball - lashing it home, now 3 each. We were now on the front foot and chances were being created, but not taken. W'pool had other ideas though and again went on the attack and Ian Probert collected the ball, ran forward and struck an un-stoppable shot into the net, giving our keeper no chance - 4-3. With 15 minutes remaining we changed our formation. Young 16 year old Dale Evans coming off the bench allowing Marc to push forward and it wasn't long before it paid dividends, with Iwan Matthews creating room for himself to strike the ball into the bottom corner of the net - now 4 each. Minutes from time and on the attack, Marc played a great through ball to Iwan and he guided the ball beyond the oncoming keeper but unfortunately the wrong side of the far post. Our supporters were now driving us on but both sides were looking at the prospect of extra time. Chris Aitkin - who was a constant threat - broke down the right side, played the ball onto Tom Evans, who was taken down by their left back - who was dismissed for his second caution. Kieran Evans delivered a great free kick into the box and Chris attacked the ball, heading home from 6 yards - 4-5 up. This is how the game ended - through into the next round. I believe that his game was a great advert for the Spar Mid Wales League - played between two committed, talented sides. Well done to our players - this was an excellent all round team performance - a credit to the club.

The Management Team.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Fri 27, Nov 2015