Sat 23
Greenfield FC
First Team
C Aitken (25'), (84'), G Meredith (90')
Super win in the FAW Trophy

Super win in the FAW Trophy

By Mel Roberts
Share via

Tough game on the road

Our 5th round FAW Trophy opponents were Greenfield FC who ply their trade in the Welsh Alliance League division 2 and are nicely placed for promotion and silverware. They beat our league rivals Knighton Town FC 3 -2 in a previous round and we knew what a difficult tie this was going to be. Their pitch was very compact and definitely playable even after the recent heavy rain. Missing from our line-up due to injury were Marc Griffiths (knee Ligaments) and Tom Bailey (ankle) otherwise a full squad to select from. They had a few players in their line-up who had league experience from the higher divisions and as we expected started the game well, not allowing us time to settle on the ball. For all their early efforts they didn't really threaten our goal and as time went on we started to get ourselves into the game, in fact creating a few decent half chances. With 25 minutes on the clock we won a corner which Iwan Matthews took, picking out Chris Aitkin who rose well above his marker, powerfully heading home, to put us 1 up. The game was now becoming a mid-field battle and their No 5 was certainly up for it pushing his colleagues forward but rarely threatening our goal. Some committed challenges were being made by both sides - with no complaints from either team - well controlled by the referee. Our half time chat was simple - to keep on the front foot but not to under estimate our opponents. Individually and as a team we had a lot more to give, further chances would come our way. With the second half underway there was a much more urgency to our game and our midfield were now starting to control affairs as they were tiring. However on 65 minutes, our centre half, Tom Coulson won a header but landed awkwardly and had to be substituted by Jack Brayne. Matt Evans moved into our central defence, with Jack slotting in at right back. We looked like adding to the score-line as Iwan was played through by Gary Meredith, skipped around their keeper but went wide of the sticks. Moments later Gary broke free and was taken out on the edge of the penalty box by their No2 who was last man. To every ones amazement, including their bench no action was taken!! This gave Greenfield a lift and on 82 minutes, from a corner kick, the ball was allowed to travel through our defence and the goal bound effort was scrambled home despite Kieran Evans' attempted clearance. With 5 minutes remaining we again regained the lead, coming from close range as Chris reacted the quickest to put the ball away - 1-2 up - giving him his second of the match. Greenfield responded well and on exactly 90 minutes again found an equaliser as a low drive from 16 yards found its way through a crowd of players and into the bottom corner. The Greens' were obviously delighted and were thinking of extra time. From the kick off we pushed on and won a corner - Iwan delivered a great ball across to the far post and Gary was there on hand to glance it into the corner of the net - 2-3 up. There was no way back now for Greenfield FC and moments later, the final whistle blew - we were in last eight. This win was a hard well earned victory and even though we weren't at our best, we grinded out a result. Clwb Peldroed Llanrhaeadr FC would like to wish Greenfield FC the very best of luck for the remainder of their season where they have a lot to play for. Our win however was marred by the bad news that Tom had suffered a double fracture to his right tibia. We all wish you a speedy recovery.

Thanks Again all for your tremendous support.

The Management Team.


Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 23, Jan 2016