Hutchinson Double Leads Jammers to First League Defeat

Hutchinson Double Leads Jammers to First League Defeat

By Joe Griffiths
16th September 2018
Share via

Canvey Island inflicted Maldon and Tiptree to their first league defeat of the season after two Joshua Hutchinson goals secured a 2-1 victory.

Much like their last outing, against Uxbridge, Maldon and Tiptree started the game in slow fashion as the away side Canvey tested keeper Ben McNamara twice within the first five minutes.

The first major moment of the game saw Canvey defender Jake Jolliffe stretchered off after just 10 minutes with what looked to be a serious leg injury.

When the game re-started the trend continued and the away side, through Mitchell Gilbey, brought a fantastic save out of McNamara who had been busy in the early goings of the match.

The away side thought that they had taken a deserved lead after 22 minutes when Jordan Cox put the ball into the back of the net only for the linesman’s flag to deny him.

It was then M&T’s turn to pile on some pressure with Shane Cojocarel’s effort being blocked off the line by a recovering defender before goalkeeper Harry Palmer came out well to deny Decarrey Sheriff a certain goal.

Just a few moments later however the away side were ahead. Joshua Hutchinson’s deflected right footed effort completely foxed McNamara in the Jammers goal 29 minutes in.

There was very little action of note between then and the half time whistle and it was Canvey who lead by a goal to nil.

Manager Wayne Brown made a change at half time taking off left-back Seth Owens as he was replaced by debutant striker George Sykes, who had just been signed from opponents Canvey.

Sykes had a great chance to score against his old club just four minutes into the second-half but at the vital moment lost his footing. Another chance fell to the big striker not long after when Matthew Briggs picked him out with a delightful cross, but he couldn’t keep his header down.

One-man M&T can certainly rely on is Decarrey Sheriff and he had the presence of mind to latch onto a sloppy back pass before being brought down by goalkeeper Palmer. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Sheriff buried the penalty into the bottom left corner to level the game in the 69th minute.

The Jammers were now the side dominating the game and with just six minutes left to go the ball fell delightfully for Callum Jones in the box only for his goal bound effort to be blocked well by the Canvey defender. It was a golden opportunity and one that would prove a costly miss.

In the 86th minute from a M&T corner Canvey broke through Hutchinson who carried the ball the length of the field before slotting home in the area to send the away fans into dreamland.

There was barely time for any other action and it was Canvey who left with all three points.

Photo via: Josephine Adams

Share via