Jones’ Last Gasp Winner Sees The Jammers Through

Jones’ Last Gasp Winner Sees The Jammers Through

By Joe Griffiths
9th September 2018
Share via

5 goals, a red card and a 90th minute winner saw Maldon & Tiptree pull off a 3-2 victory over Uxbridge in the Velocity Trophy.

After unfortunately bowing out of the FA Cup against lower league opposition, Maldon and Tiptree were looking to progress this time around in the league cup.

Their opponents in this Velocity Trophy game were Uxbridge FC. A side who sat 5th in the South Central Division having started the league campaign unbeaten.

Maldon and Tiptree started the game with great tempo and it took just one minute before the first chance of the game was created. Some hard work from debutant Oliver Sims down the left-hand side saw him round the Uxbridge keeper before squaring to Callum Jones whose shot was cleared off the line by a recovering defender.

The game was certainly an open one in the early minutes and Seth Owens gave keeper Ben McNamara a scare with a short back pass which he just managed to deal with before embarrassment could strike.

The early M&T pressure continued though with great chances falling the way of both Luke Holness and Chris Millar, unfortunately neither were able to capitalise.

Just moments after Holness had seen his effort saved spectacularly by Uxbridge keeper Paul McCarthy, it was the away side who went ahead after 23 minutes. Uxbridge had looked dangerous on the counter throughout the first half and the man they call ‘Magic’, Zaine Gangedeen, slotted home a beautiful right footed effort beyond McNamara.

M&T looked shocked after going behind and it quickly got a whole lot worse. Sloppy defending at the back gave Joe Wright the easiest of tap-ins to double the away side's lead with just six minutes of the first half left to play.

At half time it was 2-0 to the away side Uxbridge, who had looked good value for the scoreline.

With the words of manager Wayne Brown still echoing in their ears, it didn’t take long for the Jammers to get themselves on the scoresheet. Just 5 minutes into the second half Sammie McLeod fired home a Sims rebound after a delightful defence splitting ball from Jones.

The first M&T sub of the afternoon saw Shane Cojocarel replace Chris Millar after 57 minutes and it didn’t take long for the replacement to make a big impact. After collecting the ball in midfield, Cojocarel was wiped out by an awful challenge from Yahya El-Kabouche which left the referee no choice but to brandish the red card.

Anyone who thought that it would get any easier after the away side went down to 10 men were mistaken. For all the possession that M&T were having, they were struggling to create anything of real note.

With the clock ticking towards the 80 minute mark, it was time to introduce leading goal scorer Decarrey Sheriff. Just minutes after coming on the striker unleashed a right footed effort from outside of the area but it flew wide.

However, with seven minutes of time left to play, Matthew Briggs headed home from inside the area after a delightful cross from Jimmy Shepherd picked him out beautifully.

The scores were level and with penalties looming as we struck the 90-minute mark the comeback was complete. Sheriff went through one on one with the keeper who pulled off a brilliant save only for the ball to fall to the feet of Jones who smashed home the latest of winners.

There was barely anytime for any other action and the Jammers had completed the comeback of all comebacks to beat Uxbridge 3-2.

Share via