Maldon & Tiptree FC
Sat 09 Oct 2021  ·  The FA Trophy 21-22
Maldon & Tiptree Football Club
Maldon & Tiptree FC
S Cornish (70')
Felixstowe & Walton United
Jammers Dumped On Penalties

Jammers Dumped On Penalties

Maldon & Tiptree Media10 Oct 2021 - 10:22
Share via

Wayne Brown's side will have no repeat of last seasons Trophy run, as they exited the competition on penalties, 7-6 against Felixstowe & Walton.

Brown made one change from Tuesday's win, with Laste Dombaxe restored to the starting XI in place of John Gilbert.

The Jammers started on the front foot and early on, were denied a clear goal that even the visitors confirmed should've been a goal. After smart play from Emmanuel Martins down the left, the ball eventually reached Bradley McClenaghan on the edge of the box who's powerful shot rebounded off the crossbar, clearly crossed the line but neither the Referee or his assistant signalled for the goal, to the amazement of all those in the ground. Shortly after, McClenaghan had another shot go close, this time the ball being cleared off the line by a visiting defender.

After the disappointment of the goal that wasn't given, Brown's side appeared to lose their way and Felixstowe grew in to the game and appeared to 'want it' more than the hosts. In the 24th minute, the visitors took the lead. As Maldon conceded a soft free kick, Walton capitalised as Samuel Nunn headed the ball back across goal to an unmarked Ollie Canfer, who tapped home from close range. The Jammers were forced in to an early substitution as Lordon Akolbire was unable to continue, being replaced by Harry Taylor.

Ted Collins was called in to action and made a superb save from close range to keep the deficit to just one, whilst Charlee Hughes went close with an effort of his own, before collecting a yellow card for a high foot. As half-time approached, the Jammers had appeals for a penalty waved away, before a last ditch, goal saving block from Sam Cornish, ensured the game remained at 0-1 going into the break.

HALF TIME: Maldon & Tiptree 0 - 1 Felixstowe & Walton

With the Gaffa's words ringing in their ears, the Jammers looked brighter at the start of the second half. Hughes was replaced at the break by Scott Kemp and it was only Maldon who looked like scoring in the early stages. Martyn Stokes' saw his header saved, before some smart play by Taylor allowed him to cross the ball in to the box, but an on rushing Cornish, could only divert his diving header in to the hands of the Goalkeeper.

Maldon continued to press forward and continued to create chances, without being clinical in front of goal. Malachi Napa blew his chance over the bar, before Scott Kemp was unable to get on the end of a dangerous cross from Shomari Barnwell, on the second phase of play Martins watched on as his dangerous cross was diverted over the bar for a corner. In the 70th minute, the home side were rewarded for their second half improvements. Taylor was again the creator, as his cross reached Cornish on the edge of the box, who unleashed a powerful effort that rebounded off the post, on to the Goalkeeper and in to the back of the net to level the tie.

In the last twenty minutes, the game had a 'cup tie' feel to it, as Maldon pressed forward, the Seasiders were content with counter attacking when they could. The chances continued to come and go, Napa was wasteful in front of goal, whilst Brian Moses saw his shot saved by the Goalkeeper. The Jammers were unable to capitalise on a number of set pieces and perhaps were fortunate in the last seconds of the match, as Zak Brown fell to the floor in the penalty area under pressure from Stokes, but his appeals for a penalty were waved away to the delight of the home supporters as the game headed for the lottery, that is a penalty shoot-out.

FULL TIME: Maldon & Tiptree 1 - 1 Felixstowe & Walton

Maldon won the coin toss and decided to take first. Napa stepped up with confidence, although his spot kick rebounded off the post. Felixstowe scored to take the advantage, Turpin and Barnwell took next for the Jammers and converted from the spot. Ted Collins pulled off an amazing save as Felixstowe missed their third spot kick and the shoot-out was tied at 2-2 after three penalties each.

The quality of penalties from both sides was high, with Cornish and Taylor converting to reach sudden-death. After seven penalties, it was six all, as Kemp and Moses converted for the hosts. Next to take, was captain Martyn Stokes but unfortunately his effort was saved by Callum Robinson, handing Felixstowe with the advantage.

The visiting Captain, Jordan Matthews stepped up to take the decisive penalty kick and Collins for a split-second appeared to have kept his side in the tie, however his save wasn't strong enough to keep the ball from reaching the back of the net, as Matthews wheeled away in celebration.

Match details

Match date

Sat 09 Oct 2021






The FA Trophy 21-22
Team overview
Further reading

Team Sponsors

Main Sponsor - Forrester Park
Club Sponsor - Lifestyle Shutters & Blinds
Benchwear provider - ProKit UK
Sponsor - Kappa