30th November 2020.
The news we had ALL been waiting for....RUGBY RETURNS!!
Following Government's announcement last week that outdoor team sport can resume from Wednesday 2nd December, the RFU is delighted to confirm that Government has approved a submission to return to 15-a-side contact rugby, with some adaptations.
Further detail on these adaptations and associated laws will follow. However, they are briefly summarised below:
• There will be no scrums or mauls in the game
• Where the game would restart with a scrum, this will be replaced with a free kick
• A minimum of five and a maximum of seven players from each team are required to form a lineout
What does this mean clubs can now do?
• Clubs can resume adapted training for 15-a-side contact rugby again from this Wednesday. Further detail to follow tomorrow.
• Clubs can resume friendly fixtures from Friday 18 December - this is to allow players to prepare properly and safely, having not been training over the past month.
• Clubs can still play Ready4Rugby if they have matches coming up from 2 December to 18 December and beyond. There is no obligation to play adapted 15-a-side contact fixtures.
Further detail to follow & further Government guidance is expected on travel, changing, spectators and clubhouses.
It may not be a switch back to "normal", but the positive is that we are moving that way! Rugby remains a game for ALL shapes & sizes and with a reduced number of laws THIS IS THE SEASON to get your boots (back) on and join one of our squads (senior, junior or mini; male or female)
We look forward to seeing you out on the pitches of Grove Park and eagerly anticipate welcoming you back in to the bar when Government guidelines allow.