Match Report: Marine 1-2 Trafford

Match Report: Marine 1-2 Trafford

By Tom Clarke
5 days ago
Share via

Tom Clarke reports as late winner sinks The Mariners at the MTA...

Marine were defeated for the first time this season on Tuesday evening, a late goal from substitute Darius Palma sealing the 1-2 loss after Craig Lindfield had equalised following Lewis Salmon's opener.

Kenny Strickland captained the home side as Niall Cummins was given a rest from the start, and the midfielder had an early effort at goal after some tidy link-up play between Josh Solomon-Davies and Rumenio Barai, but the shot was saved athletically by Matthew Cooper in the Trafford net.

Home debutant Shamal George was forced into several early saves to deny the visitors an opener in the first fifteen minutes, before Ethan Devine went into the book for a foul.

Another two yellow cards followed in the next five minutes, Trafford's Tom Schofield receiving a warning as well as Solomon-Davies as tempers began to flare.

Strickland had another couple of efforts from the edge of the box after some promising play from Barai, but the visitors survived the pressure.

After several more saves from George, Marine had a great chance to take the lead on the stroke of half-time as Solomon-Davies sent in a dangerous cross which was met by Barai on the volley, but Brett Mbalanda could only head the ball over the bar.

Lewis Salmon opened the scoring just after the break for the visitors, capitalising on a mis-hit clearance from Anthony Miley to swipe the ball past George.

The fast-footed Toyeeb Mustapha nearly doubled Trafford's advantage shortly after, but for another excellent save from Marine's Liverpool loanee in goal.

Manager Neil Young decided to change things up after 54 minutes, Niall Cummins and Craig Lindfield entering the fray in place of Barai and Ethan Devine.

Lindfield made an almost instant impact, putting the hosts on level terms just six minutes after the substitutions.

Darius Palma sealed the deal in the 90th minute, though, with a good goal from the visitors causing a painful home defeat for The Mariners.

The result means that Marine fall to fourth place in the BetVictor Northern North West Division, and travel to Tadcaster in the league on Saturday afternoon at 3pm before hosting Clitheroe in the Integro League Cup next Tuesday 17th September at 7.45pm at the MTA.

Marine: Shamal George, Josh Solomon-Davies, James Ellison, Kenny Strickland (C), Anthony Miley, Scott Lycett, Rumenio Barai (Niall Cummins, 54), Steve Irwin, Brett Mbalanda (Francois Antoine, 68), Ethan Devine (Craig Lindfield, 54), James Barrigan.
Unused subs: Patrick Staunton, Germano Mendes.

Trafford: Matthew Cooper, Jake Kenny (Chris Palmer, 73), Joel Amado, Thomas Schofield, Samuel Egerton (C), Keil O'Brien, Toyeeb Mustapha, Ross Davidson, Lewis Salmon (Jordan Johnson, 81), Declan Rydings, Samuel Grimshaw (Darius Palma, 80).
Unused subs: Curtis Miller, Adam Rooney.

Referee: Jack Nield. Assistant referees: Andrew Cottrell, Emily Carney.

Attendance: 362.

Share via