Sat 21
Colts XV
Ill-Discipline cost Harborough Colts victory in local derby

Ill-Discipline cost Harborough Colts victory in local derby

By David Nance
Share via

Harborough fightback in vain as they backchat to the referee sees them go from a 5 metre attacking scrum to conceding a match-winning try with the last play of the game.

They were very much on the back foot in the first half with the Lutterworth forwards dominating the scrum and in particular the line out to the extent that Harborough were living off scraps of possession. The Harborough defence was however excellent, Jake Noble leading from the front with try-saving tackles. Despite Lutterworth dominating possession they were unable to take advantage and it was Harborough who scored first when scrum-half Connor Holden put in a delicate chip and followed up to collect the ball and touch down for an excellent individual try that went unconverted. A 5-0 half time lead looked on the cards until the visitors at last found a hole in the Harborough defence to touch down for a try that was converted to give them a 7-5 half-time lead. The second half initially continued as the first but with Harborough defending close to their line the ball came to Noble who kicked downfield and with Lutterworth unable to field the ball it was picked up by centre Joel Nance who outran the defence to touch down and put Harborough back in front 10-7. Lutterworth then hit back with a clever blindside move to restore their lead. Harborough were now however gaining the upper hand with substitutes, Rudi Wilson, Freddie Highton and James Coomber making a big impact. The Harborough front row of George Thornton, Jack Digby and Timmy Waterfield were also now making inroads into the Lutterworth defence and having gone close a combination of forward drives and strong running from Jon Mundy saw Jack Williams score wide out to restore Harborough’s lead 15-12. They were however missing their kicks at goal which was to prove costly but it was a moment of madness that probably cost them the game. Continuing to press they drove over the Lutterworth line with 2 minutes remaining but with the ball held up they had to settle for an attacking 5 metre scrum. It was then that back chat to the referee resulted in a penalty against them that saw Lutterworth move upfield and eventually the ball was moved to their huge prop who stormed over in the corner with the last play of the game to claim victory by 17-15. A gutsy performance that could so easily have resulted in a second consecutive win.
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 21, Sep 2013