Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Metropolitan Police FC app


1st XI - Match centre

Taunton Town
Metropolitan Police
Sat 6 Apr 15:00 - The Evo-Stik South - Premier Division South Full time

Taunton 1 Met Police 3


Match report for epic away win

Match report

At 0930 the Blues started a long three hour plus journey to Taunton with an intent to right what went wrong against Tuesday against Weymouth.
By 3pm the boys were positive and determined and looking to silence the 700 plus crowd that had attended to see their Taunton side keep their unbeaten home record.
The game started brightly with both sides looking to set the game at their pace. Tauntons had early opportunities to take the lead but were not clinical enough in their finishing to do so.
The blues started to build a momentum thanks to Munnery and Gilberts injection of pace in midfield. The blues first real opportunity came at about 20 minutes with Munnery running off the ball with Mazzone passing past the defenders Munnery found himself just outside the box one on one with the keeper. Munnery went to flick the ball over the keeper but as he landed he keeled over in agony with a knee injury. The games paused for some time and unfortunately he had to be substituted with Blackmore coming on.
The Blues didn’t stop the attacking and on the 26th minute found themselves deep in Taunton’s half winning a throw in on the left. An early attempt of a long throw on had found itself sadly into the keepers hand but not this time. Robinson threw the ball beautifully high and awkward and after the first bounce Mazzone hit the ball firmly into the goal.
A minute later Tauntons woes increased when a long ball to Mazzone saw him pulled down. The free kick was not given but Mazzone and Gilbert fought back with Mazzone taking possession from a seated position He then got up and switched the the ball with a flighted pass to Hippolyte . Hippolyte nudged the ball down and looked to shoot but held off for the incoming Chislett who smashed the ball into the Taunton goal. A great team goal.
Taunton were clearly affected by the goals as this reporter saw some infighting going on between there players just before kick of after the second Met goal. The Blues looking for the third played some good passing football and were unlucky after a Blackmore shot in the area was shot wide of the left post.
The stadium at this point was silent but It did not stop Taunton from trying to get back in the game.
There most memorable chance in the half came from a free kick which Schottel excellently saved pushing the goal bound shot round the post. Taunton had a barrage of corners late in the half with opportunities to score but the excellent heads of Robinson and Arthur kept the score at 2-0. The Blues could of been 3-0 up just before half time when a great attack down the right with good passing led to a low cross to the feet of Hippolyte who put the ball over the bar at 6 yards.

The second didn’t start well for the Blues as Taunton came out with the obvious intent of getting back in the game .They started attacking down the left and equalised after a run on the left led to a cross to the right. Taunton passed the ball back across the goal quickly and the blues defence were unable to the stop the incoming Neal putting the ball into the back of the net at two yards.
Showing great character the Blues kept pushing forward but were being exposed on the right. A quick tactical change on the hour saw Ollie knight come on for Hippolyte and take over the left and Gilbert switch from the right to the left.Taunton kept the pressure up but the blues defence held strong with Arthur putting in a great performance and Robertson in midfield running the show. On 54 minutes the blues won a corner which was happily headed in by Mazzone restoring the 2 goal cushion. Taunton looked like a side that wasn’t used to this at home. The crowd were silent and the fans frustration could clearly be heard.
The Blues used this to their advantage and exposed the ever pressured defence. A run by Ollie knight with ball on the left ran into the area and shot. The ball was saved by the keeper with the ball falling to the feet of Mazzone whose shot was cleared off the line.
Blackmore was unlucky later on after his curling shot from just outside the area hit the left post came back out hit the back of the keeper and rolled agonisingly past the left post for a corner.
Nyma came on for Gilbert who and did a good job running down the right at the tired Taunton defenders. He was unlucky not to score after a great run led to his shot going straight to the keeper.
Robertson and Robinson showed great leadership in the latter part of the second half slowing the game down that really left Taunton getting more frustrated.
Taunton looked for that vital energy boosting second goal and came close after a rare defensive mistake in the second half found Tauntons striker one on one with Schotterl who literally took one on the chin for the team after the saving the shot with his face to deny Taunton.
The game came to an end and the Blues sealed their place in the playoffs and deserved winners of the match. Taunton fans impressed at what they had seen clapped our boys off as they left the pitch.
It was a great day for the Blues and the team proved once again that there position in the league. A great team effort with great performances from them all but special mention to Arthur ,Mazzone and man of the match Robertson.

Well done Lads keep it going for the Cup

The FA SuperKicks app launched to kick-start children's play and learning

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division South results

Basingstoke Town
Beaconsfield Town
Wimborne Town
Poole Town
Chesham United
Dorchester Town
Swindon Supermarine
Merthyr Town
Hartley Wintney
Walton Casuals
Frome Town
Staines Town

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Weymouth 40 82
2. Taunton Town 40 79
3. Salisbury 40 76
4. Metropolitan Police 40 74
5. Poole Town 40 66
6. Kings Langley 40 66
7. Hartley Wintney 40 59

Team sponsor


Club sponsor