Monton Amateurs Association Football Club was formed in 1916 as a schoolboy team playing friendly games on Monton Green during the First World War when no organised football was available.In 1922 the Club moved to play at a ground on Worsley Road, Winton, and became one of the founder members of the now defunct Eccles and District League.
In 1924 the Club joined the Lancashire and Cheshire Amateur League where it remained until 1985. After a slow start the Club gradually increased it`s influence on and off the field until it became one of the leading clubs in the League. Four open age teams were run for many seasons, the Aggregate Trophy was won three times and the League Championship eight times as well as numerous other League trophies.
In 1936 the Club moved to play at the newly built Clevely Playing Fields, Winton, provided by Eccles Corporation, and stayed there until construction of the M60 motorway necessitated a move to Brookhouse Playing Fields, Eccles in 1969.
The seventies were Monton`s golden years when the Club had a period of spectacular success, winning a total of eighteen trophies including the much coveted Lancashire Amateur Cup, beating arch rivals St.Dominics from Liverpool 1-0 in the final at Wigan Athletic`s old ground.For many years the Club had been looking to acquire a ground of its own and in 1979 succeeded in securing the lease of a site at Salteye, Liverpool Road, Eccles ( now the site of the A.J Bell Stadium )and with financial assistance from the Sports Council built changing accommodation jointly with Mitchell Shackleton ( now Irlam F.C )
The two senior teams entered Divisions 1 and 3 of the Manchester League in 1985 with the second team being promoted to Division 2 in the first season and the first team being promoted to the Premier Division the next season as well as being beaten finalists in the Manchester Amateur Cup. The Gilgryst Cup was won in 1998 and the Open Trophy in 1990 and 1992.
In 1995 the Salteye Park assets were sold to Salford Rugby League Club and the Club moved to its current home, New Alder Park, Winton, a largely undeveloped 10 acre site but with considerable development potential.
A ground development programme was prepared involving expansion and upgrading of the facilities in order to broaden the Club`s activities.After some initial difficulties, including the problems with planning permission and the loss in 1999 through arson of the Clubhouse acquired with the site, implementation of the programme commenced in 2005.
The impact of losing the Clubhouse being reduced by neighbours Winton Cricket Club kindly making their Clubhouse available.
With the help of major financial assistance from the Football Foundation, supplemented with grants from a a number of other organisations and income generating activities by the Club the burnt out Clubhouse was replaced by an all-metal sectionalised Clubhouse purchased from Weaste Cricket Club, which was dismantled and re-erected on site, two mini soccer pitches and a junior pitch were constructed and the senior pitch had a drainage system installed, a large training area was provided, the car park increased in size to accommodate 100 cars, a new access roadway constructed and the general appearance of the site improved at a total cost of over £250,000.
At the end of season 2006/07 the first team were relegated from the Manchester League Premier division, but were promoted back at the end of season 2010/11 after near misses in the three previous seasons.
2013/14 saw the team have its most successful season in the Manchester League, being runners up in the Premier division and beaten finalists in the Gilgryst Cup.
In 2011 the Club changed its name from Monton Amateurs F.C to AFC Monton and changed its legal status to that of a Company Limited by Guarantee.
As the facilities have developed the level of football activity has grown and in season 2014/15 the Club operated four open age teams, with the first team playing in the Premier Division of the Manchester League, fourteen junior teams with an age range of under 7`s to under 18`s and a Soccer School operating all year round for 4 to 6 year old young people.
This involves nearly 250 playing members and over 60 Managers, Coaches and support Staff, all volunteers and largely drawn from the surrounding communities.
In addition, a programme of activities involving the local community has begun to develop, involving events such as Family Fun Days,Easter Extravaganzas, Hallo Bangs and Charity football matches.
In 2015 the Club changed its legal status again to that of a Community Benefit Society.
Phase three of the Ground Development Project commenced in May 2015 at an estimated total cost of over £300,000 again with major financial support from the Football Foundation supplemented with a contribution from Viridor Credits and finance generated by the Club.This phase includes the provision of a new Clubhouse, surfacing and floodlighting the car park, upgrading the playing pitches and further improving the appearance of the site.The major part of the new Clubhouse construction stage will be completed in early summer 2016, with the other developments following as finance permits.
2015/16 is the Club`s Centenary Season and a programme of events have been arranged to celebrate the occasion, starting with a Sportsmans Evening held in Autumn 2015 with Bryan Robson as principal guest speaker and a Black and White Centenary Ball.
The Club has F.A Charter Club status and it is anticipated that F.A Charter Community Club status will be achieved shortly.