The following is a brief record of club developments from 1951.
1951 - 1962 recorded by Keith Dale. 1989 - 2014 recorded by Tony Marsh.
May 1951 A.G.M. 51-52 1st XV Captain M. Evans - Vice Captain A.D. Lee
1951-52 No1 Pitch Roe Lane
We had a rep on Stoke Selection Committee (H. Evans)
We had a rep on Stoke General Committee (J.M. Bratney)
Stoke waivered the amount loaned to start Club (letter Sept 51)
Club to be member of Staffs RU as per committee Oct 51
Dance at Municipal Hall raffle prize 2 pairs of Nylons
Annual Dinner at Borough
First stage of split with Stoke re selection of players!
General Committee Meeting held at Victoria Hotel May Bank
Selection at Beeston Vaults
Newcastle nominated Longton to join Staffs RU (Oct 1952)
17th Nov search for ground of our own commenced (Land at Brampton too small)
Dec 1952 permission granted to use Coat of Arms.
Trentham Dance 219 tickets sold.
Application to Newcastle B.C. for ground reported 1st Mar 54.
Aug 54 Lilleshall Rd ground offered to rent by Newcastle B.C.
Nov 54 Letter to Council to confirm lease on Lilleshall Rd.
29 Nov 54 J. Pointon reported on agreement with Birkett & Roberts. Mothers Pride Bakery for use of building for changing.
New Club (Messer’s Peels) price £406.10.00 (May 1955)
Newcastle drawing up lease and loans for fencing
Sept 55 concrete footing in
Bricks from Derek Holtom
Henessy Bros to do brickwork
Club to purchase 3 tin baths for Mothers Pride Bakery
Dec 55 drains laid by F.H.M
Feb 56 Peels building now erected
Nov 56 Club house in use bar in use from Oct
(Reg Calvert 25th Sept 1958 elected N.P. member)
Nov 58 Club to apply to return to Roe Lane for additional pitch
Sept 59 Newcastle B.C. instructed to form new drive and car park
A.G.M. Jul 60 J. Salt offered loan of £500 for new extensions new ladies
25th Aug 1960 - 60’ x 30’ Building acquired from Swynnerton for £335
Oct 60 - Foundations started & stanchion bases
Car park completed in red ash finish
March 61 - Hardboard lining to be collected from Swynnerton
June 61 - Official opening of New Ext by T. Simpson
Sep 61 - Sec to apply for Roe Lane for 62/63 season
3rd XV to use Keele this season
Better floodlights needed.
Summer 62 - New Gents toilet (lean to)
September 1989 - Surrender of original lease in exchange for £40k grant this being used to finance building of new gym.
June 1990 - Creation of training room at the end of the changing rooms at a cost of £87k funded by grants from Newcastle Borough Council, Sports Council and RFU loan
November 1990 - The bottom lounge was extended into the former storage room this being undertaken by Keith Pownall.
July 1999 - Arson attack in the bath and changing rooms resulting in replacement of roof and timber cladding at a cost of £17k covered by insurance. Work undertaken by Toft Johnson and architects Brown Clowes.
Flooding of clubhouse and changing rooms due to Severn Trent undertaking alterations to main drainage system in the area, following survey by Wood Goldsstraw and Yorath claim submitted and £4,400.00 paid by Severn Trent.
September 2008 - Major alterations to changing rooms and toilet facilities at a cost of £240k, this was financed by grants and loan from Rugby Football Foundation. The contractor was Jaram and architects Ellis Hillman.
April 2010 - The club pitch was resurfaced by landscape contractors Bancroft’s at a cost of £29k this being financed by a grant from The Foundation for Sports and the Arts.
May 2010 - Match standard floodlights were installed by Muscoe lighting alongside architects Ellis Hillman at a cost of £68k this being financed by grants from RFU and Coalfields Regeneration Trust
September 2014 - Club house refurbished, replacing wooden cladding with rendered blockwork and incorporation sports store and extended bar cellar. The contractor was Sneyd and architects Wood Goldstraw and Yorath.
The project cost was £280k this being financed from Rugby Foundation Loan and a series of grants