The Swans Hunt down the Cromwells....
By Wayne Harmes
The Swan’s continued their impressive start to the season and yet to concede a goal scoring 6 in 2.....
Huntingdon Town 0-4 Newport Pagnell Town
United Counties League, Premier Division
Wednesday 17th August 2016
Kick off 19:45
Jubilee Park, Huntingdon
2. NP – Darryl Smith finds the side netting from a Fazel Koriya free kick.
7. NP – Fazel Koriya and Darryl Smith combine to set up a Greg Ling header that is saved by Richard Roberts.
28. NP – Fazel Koriya’s corner finds it’s way to Paul Edgeworth at the far post, his shot is over the bar.
29. NP – Dom Lawless’ attempt from a Darryl Smith cross is saved by Richard Roberts. Huntingdon fail to clear the resultant corner, Dom Lawless shoots over the bar.
33. HT – Mark Osborn tips Giuliano Staffieri’s shot over the bar.
35. NP – Greg Ling threads the ball through to Darryl Smith who’s shot is saved by the foot of Richard Roberts.
40. NP – GOAL 0-1. Paul Edgeworth heads the opening goal after getting on the end of a cross come shot from Greg Ling.
42. NP – Greg Ling releases Fazel Koriya who forces a good save from Richard Roberts.
45+2.0 Half Time: 0-1
46. NP – GOAL 0-2. Richard Roberts’ clearance falls straight to Greg Ling who scores with a stunning half volley from forty yards after only 42 seconds of the restart.
48. HT – Mark Osborn saves Jordan Brockett’s well struck shot.
54. NP – GOAL 0-3. Darryl Smith’s free kick is fumbled by Richard Roberts, Adam Pryke is first to react to smash the ball home.
58. NP – Richard Roberts saves a shot from Greg Ling.
69. HT – Mark Osborn produces a great point blank save from Ben Colmer, before a combination of Fazel Koriya and Ollie Wilkinson manage to block Adriano Staffieri’s shot on the line.
72. HT – James Seymour shoots high from the edge of the penalty area.
79. NP – Darryl Smith shoots over from the outside the area.
83. NP – GOAL 0-4. Great build up play from Dom Lawless and Fazel Koriya before a Darryl Smith dummy allows Greg Ling to smash the ball into the top corner.
90+3.5 Full Time: 0-4
The Swan’s continued their impressive start to the season as they dominated the first half having large periods of possession and numerous half chances. Huntingdon struggled to cope with Newport’s slick passing and good movement off the ball, however, they managed to hold out until just before half time before conceding. Their resistance was short lived in the second period as Newport netted just 42 seconds after the restart with a stunning strike from Greg Ling. The Cromwellian’s were largely fighting a rearguard action and trying to live off scraps with the forwards relying on isolated breakaways as the only means of threatening the Newport goal. As Newport’s confidence grew, Huntingdon’s composure diminished and the chances for the Swans kept coming. Some fine goalkeeping and stout defending kept the goal tally down. To a man the Swan’s played well, Darryl Smith in particular was a major influence on the game and special mention goes to Adam ‘Thierry’ Pryke who popped up to score his second of the campaign, already doubling his haul from last season.
0-1 Paul Edgeworth (40 mins)
Half Time: 1-0
0-2 Greg Ling (46 mins)
0-3 Adam Pryke (54 mins)
0-4 Greg Ling (83 mins)
Full Time: 0-4
Callum Walter (39 mins)
Michael Chow (64 mins)
1. Richard Roberts
2. Mark Ling (15. Simon Sea, 69 mins)
3. Karl Anderson
4. Jordan Goult
5. Ryan Peacock
6. Michael Chow
7. Ben Colmer
8. Giuliano Staffieri (c)
9. Adriano Staffieri
10. Jordan Brockett (16. Elliot Luxford, 74 mins)
11. Callum Walter (17. James Seymour, 46 mins)
12. Mark Lloyd
14. Goran Smilkov
Newport Pagnell Town
1. Mark Osborn
2. Ollie Wilkinson
3. Remy Forrester (14. Scott Mulkern, 80 mins)
4. Stuart Smeathers (c)
5. Adam Pryke
6. Liam Smyth
7. Darryl Smith
8. Greg Ling (15. George Shrieves, 84 mins)
9. Dom Lawless
10. Fazel Koriya
11. Paul Edgeworth (12. Dave Baker, 74 mins)
16. Jamie Burrows
– Matthew Lake
– Paul Dobbs
– Piotr Juszczyk
Photographs by Andy Gunn.