Old Walcountians RFC were formed in 1932 by former boys of Wallington County Grammar School, five years after the formation of the school.
Few records are held of our pre-war history when we were based in Beddington Park. After the war we moved to Nicholas Road, then after a difficult period which included destruction by fire of our pavilion we moved to our present home in Woodmansterne.
One of our most successful seasons was in 1958/59 when we were unbeaten. Our captain Tony Jones, was one of a number of schoolboy internationals produced under the guidance of our former president Bill Ireland who taught rugby at the school for over 40 years.
In 78/79 OW's reached the final of the Surrey Cup losing narrowly to Esher. This result was eclipsed, 30 years later, in May 2009 when we beat Old Whitgiftians in the final of the Surrey Shield. 2009 also saw the Counts gain promotion to Surrey League 1 where they have remained since.
In the spring of 2002, OWRFC embarked on an experimental and radical new way of running the club. Surrounded by clubs going to the wall, others with ever diminishing numbers, OWRFC decided that drastic action was required to halt the seemingly endless malaise that afflicts so many clubs of similar standing. To that end, the club committee structures were dissolved and replaced with a management group of five individuals.
In 2012 we introduced an U21 Squad to bridge the gap between leaving school and returning from university. In their first season, the squad won the National U21’s plate competition and reached the semi-final of the Surrey Cup. At the start of their second season, the National U21’s plate was retained which bodes well for the future.
We now run three regular teams which cater for players of all standards and the U21’s squad, so why not get in touch and come along and join us.
Photo of the unbeaten 1958-59 team