Sat 05
Senior Squad
Park House
Old Williamsonians V Park House

Old Williamsonians V Park House

By Richard Howden
Share via

Foundations not quite there against an organised Park House.

Old Wills hosted an unknown quantity that was Park House at Maidstone Road on an overcast Saturday, with the skipper missing and coming off the back of a narrow loss the previous week Old Wills were looking to bounce back. Park House were coming off a comprehensive win the previous week and would be looking to continue their momentum.

The game kicked off with OW’s receiving and after a clean catch and a couple of phases turned over the ball to Park House, with a couple of phases from the visitors OW’s become disorganised and gave away a soft penalty which the opposition kicker duly slotted for an early lead. 0-3

For the next 15 mins OW’s just seemed to go through the motions making a few half breaks and beginning to show the type of rugby they could play. But the Park House forwards were getting on top of the OW’s guys in the set pieces though in the loose both packs seemed very evenly matched.

Halfway through the first half Park House began to get a little more ball and began a very successful game plan of kicking the corners and pressuring lineouts, from a successful lineout in the OW’s 22 Park House formed an effective maul and drove close to the OW’s line. Great defence by OW’s forwards held the maul short of the line but their quick thinking scrumhalf broke from behind the maul and dived over the line for the first try of the game. This was then successfully converted to make the score 0-10.

Now with the Park House fly half having an excellent game with the boot and keeping OW’s pinned back in their own half, a succession of mistakes and silly penalties conceded by the willies lead to another lineout deep in 22. Another driving maul and it seems deja vu can occur with the maul being slowed the 9 made another break from the back and secured himself a brace. Conversion added score now 0-17

Half time followed shortly and a well needed pep talk from the coach seemed to linger in the minds of the players.

Half time kicked off and OW’s seemed energised and decided to begin to play some of the rugby the know they are capable. With the forwards winning clean and quick ball, the backs began to make some breaks and with some sustained pressure in the Park House 22 it lead to their 9 conceding a cynical penalty resulting in a 10 minute rest behind the sticks. With the opposition down to 14 men OW’s applied the pressure and eventually after a number of phases spread the ball wide and Greg went over in the corner.

After experiencing some of what Willies could offer, Park House reverted back to their first half game plan and after an unsuccessful clearence from the OW’s, a lineout was taken successfully by Park House and a driving maul was formed but this time was not stopped and crashed over for another try to the visitors. Conversion missed score now 5-22.

For the final 20 mins the game opened up, with breaks from both teams. Then in the last few mins OW’s created some continuous phases and built some pressure in the Park house danger zone, after a half break from a forward the ball was shipped wide quickly and Sanger went over for a easy run in the corner. Conversion missed final score 10-22 to the visitors.

OW’s can take some satisfaction from their second half performance but let Park house into a lead that could not be chased down.

MOTM – Jamie Sanger, always threatening with ball in hand.

DOTD - Squelchy for not bringing his kicking boots!!!

Up the Willies!!

Share via