Sat 09
Atherton Collieries
First Team
Solid performance as the Reds nail 3 points

Solid performance as the Reds nail 3 points

By Keith Mackie
Share via

Gregory & Hancock goals seal the win

The Reds made the journey across the Pennines to face newly promoted Atherton Colleries who have made a good start to their first season in the Evostik league.

On arrival the first thing you notice is the horrendous slope of the pitch, however the surface was good which would allow for decent football.

Grant Black had a full squad to choose from apart from Andy Hawksworth who was still out injured.

The Reds set up in a 3-5-2 formation which brought them positive results in the second half of the last game against Consett AFC.

Ossett started the game the strongest with both wingers finding space out wide but the quality of final balls into the box could have been better.

In central midfield, Steve Ridley did a good job of man marking Atherton danger man Howard out of the game.

The only real chance for the Reds in the 1st half came when Anthony Mackie cut inside from the right and let go a left foot shot which was a foot wide of the post.

The home side won a corner and from the corner the No 2 for Atherton found space inside the box and forced a powerful header goal-wards only to see Leigh Overton in the Reds goal pull off a spectacular save to deny a goal.

The half time whistle blew with a scoreline of 0 - 0.

Both teams came out for the second half without making any changes with Ossett benefiting from the downward slope which had to be a plus.

Atherton didn't really trouble the Reds in open play but looked dangerous from set plays and particularly from corners.

First blood fell to Ossett Town when Peterson flicked a ball into the box and the ball fell to Corey Gregory who under pressure calmly curled a left foot shot inside the post to give the Reds a deserved 55th minute 1-0 lead.

The goal seemed to bring alive the home side who then had a strong 15 minutes of pressure but the Reds defence coped with what was thrown at them with Overton looking strong in the net.

In the 71st minute Josh Snowden cleared the ball upfield, the ball was headed back and Anthony Mackie nipped in and intercepted the ball on the half way line and lifted the ball over both centre backs with a superb pass onto the path of Kai Hancock who steadied himself and calmy lobbed the oncoming keeper to increase the Reds lead to 2-0.

In the 80th minute, the Reds had the chance to make it 3-0 when good work from Seon Ripley found Alex Peterson 8 yards out but the keeper was out quickly to block his shot.

Atherton again looked dangerous in the last 10 minutes winning a few free kicks and corners but the Ossett defence was equal to everything and the forwards did well in running the clock down by taking the ball into the corners in the last few minutes.

The final whistle blew with Ossett Town taking the 3 points in a 2-0 away victory.

All in all a great team performance against a physical and well organised side. Saturday 16th September will see a re-match of these two sides in the FA Cup, this time at Ingfield. No doubt as in all FA Cup ties, that will be a completely different game to this one and the Reds will need to treat the fixture as such.

On Tuesday 12th September the Reds will travel away to Goole AFC for a league fixture, kick off 7-45pm.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 09, Sep 2017






The EVO-STIK North

League position

Ossett Town
Atherton Collieries