Wed 21
Stansfeld (O&B)
First XI
M Black (11'), V Tyrell (18')
Wasted chances prove costly for Menace on the road

Wasted chances prove costly for Menace on the road

By Duncan Hart
Share via

Town threw away a two goal lead to lose at Stansfeld (O&B) on a rare midweek sojourn in the Kent County League Premier Division.

Peckham Town made five changes from the team that lost the opening game of the season. Youssef Bouimane, Marco Almeida Nicky Meta, Jefroy Leslie stepped up from the bench and Tommy Hobson returned in goal.

The Menace made a confident start to the game. A mystery foul in the build-up prevented Valentine Tyrell opening his account on ten minutes as his goal was ruled out, and seconds later Marcus Black was not able to round the goalkeeper when put through one-on-one. Black didn’t have to wait too long though to open his goal scoring account for the Menace, as he finished well following good work by Nicky Meta down the left. There was only eighteen minutes on the clock when Town deservedly doubled the lead. Tyrell Valentine finished sweetly from the edge of the box when put through by Black.

That was as good as it got for the Menace, as Stansfeld (O&B) were allowed back into the game. George White pulled one back for the home-side on 20 minute with a well taken overhead kick. It could have been all square on the half-hour mark, but the equalising goal was ruled out for offside. As half-time approach, Kevin Dance and Youssef Bouimane combined well to create a chance for Marcus Black free at the far post, but the ball agonisingly drifted over his head.

Peckham had chances to extend their lead following half-time, but failed to take any of them. Town made a couple of changes on the hour mark, as Owen Imadiyi and Herve Mbongue replaced Nicky Meta and Tyrell Valentine. The Menace had a shout for a penalty soon after, but it was turned down. The missed chances were to prove costly, as Stansfeld scored on the break when Mark McKenna finished well to Tommy Hobson’s right to make it 2-2 on the night.

Peckham had a trio of corners, but were not able to take any of these chances to re-take the lead. It was left to Stansfeld’s number nine to deliver the killer blow to Peckham’s chances on the night. George White picked up the ball on the left and let fly with a shot from distance that flew past Tommy Hobson in goal and into the far corner. This was to prove the winning goal, as Town were not able to breakdown the home-sides defensive line in the remaining minutes and fell to a second consecutive defeat.

Peckham Town are away at distant New Romney on Saturday 24 August. There are then two home games in quick succession on Bank Holiday Monday and Saturday 31 August vs Ide Hill and Bromleians respectively. You can keep updated on all the goings on at Peckham Town by following @PeckhamTownFC on Twitter and Instagram.

Stansfeld OBG: Joe Clark, Richard Gurney, Perry Holland, Liam Lauciello-Destefanis, George Lush, Bryan Mankumbani, George Martin, Mark McKenna, Tom Smith, George White, Lennie Wise. Subs: Joe Hook, Scott Jones, Charlie Richmond, Joe Stowell

Peckham Town (4-4-2): Tommy Hobson; Youssef Bouimane, Gary Martin, Marco Almeida, Hady Traore; Kevin Dance, Charlie Egleton, Jefroy Leslie, Nicky Meta (c); Valentine Tyrell, Marcus Black. Substitutes: Stefan Livingston, Ridy Ngimbi, Owen Imadiyi, Ashley Myers and Herve Mbongue

Referee: Keith Wenham; Assistants: Barry Jeal and Alex Conteh.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Wed 21, Aug 2019