Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Penrith AFC app


Panthers pounce into final

By Karl Collinson

Juniors Roundup

U14 County Cup Semi Final
Penrith Panthers faced a tough task at Frenchfield Park against unbeaten Workington Rangers to reach the U14 County Cup Final.
It was a quick start by the visitor's as they pushed the home side back but they found the Panthers defence in resilient mood.
Penrith soon got into the match with Harvey Forster, Louis Gould and Rhys Akrigg winning everything in the midfield.
Callum Wills had a chance to open the scoring but fired just over but it wasn't long until the deadlock was broken with Forster picking up the ball inside the Rangers half, beating 2 player's and unleashing an unstoppable shot from 35 yards into the top corner.
Panthers reduced the visitor's to long range efforts which goalkeeper Harvey Reay dealt with at ease.
Penrith were starting to dominate midway through the second half with the impressive Ben Dargue causing all types of problems down the right and it was Dargue himself who arrived late into the box and calmly side footed into the far bottom corner to open up a 2 goal advantage.
Rangers did get back into the game with 10 minutes to go when, for the first time in the game, Panthers defence got in a mix up and the Workington striker opened his body up and finished superbly.
There was a late scare as Rangers hit the bar with the ball bouncing down onto the line and away.
It was a fantastic performance from Penrith as they progress to the final on Saturday 18th May at Keswick FC where they'll play Cleator Moor Celtic.

Penrith AFC U9 v Keswick U9 Frenchfields Sunday 14th April 10.30 KO.
Penrith got us underway and both teams were straight at each other moving the ball around keeping the body temperature up on an exstreamly bitterly cold Sunday morning.
Keswick settled down the more quicker and started to put a few good passes together finding pockets of space edging forward but the Penrith defence of Cal Pearson and Lewis Ritson stood firm.
Penrith tried to pick things up and get the momentum going but both teams just cancelled each other out, 0-0 at half time a hard fought first half by both teams very evenly matched.
The second half got underway with a Keswick KO and they got the ball down and out to the wings sending some shots goal bound only to be denied by a great diving save from Charlie Price, this was a wake up call for Penrith and they started to push on with George Curry and Oliver Nickleson running down the wings forcing the corners but Keswick goal keeper was alert to collect.
Penrith had a free kick 20yrds out, Charlie Wright teed it up and just shot the ball over the cross bar.
Keswick played out from the back moving forward with pace finding space to get a shot on the Penrith goal only this time finding the back of the net,
Keswick had the momentum and before Penrith could settle themselves down Keswick struck again.
Penrith needed to pick themselves up and dig deep and very nearly got on the score sheet following a defence splitting pass from Charlie Wright onto the on running Joel Mounsey only for his shot to be parried wide from the Keswick goal keeper.
Both teams pushed for that extra goal but the game was to finish 0-2 to Keswick, a hard fought game but the best team won on the day.
A loss is just as bigger learning curve than a win and it’s how you pick yourself up and respond going forward, well done both teams.

Updated 20:57 - 17 Apr 2019 by Karl Collinson

Video Advertising


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors