News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
FA Cup Exit for Motormen

FA Cup Exit for Motormen

Adam Silver25 Sep 2010 - 21:30
Share via

Redbridge are out the FA Cup after losing 2-1 at home to Harrow Borough. Our goal coming in 2nd half injury time from substitute Pele Salmon.

In an entertaining game at the Oakside, Harrow edged past Redbridge 2-1 win at the Oakside to move into the 3rd Qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Redbridge though performed well and were unlucky not to force a replay at Earlsmead Stadium for next week.

In the opening stages of the game both sides had chances to score. Redbridge created a good chance early on when Anton Agdomar and Julian Ashby linked up to find Alex Read in space just outside the box. Read cleverly turned his marker to give himself a free shot on goal but the young striker frustratingly shot straight at Nick Jupp in goal for the visitors.

Moments later Harrow ought to have gone in front but for an outstanding save from Redbridge's keeper Dave McCartney. A great cross into the box from Ryan Watts found Dewayne Clarke perfectly inside the six yard box. Clarke looked odds-on to score but somehow his powerful header was saved by Redbridge's reliable keeper to the shock of everyone in attendance. It was some save that Peter Schmeichel would have been proud of.

After that Read had another chance on goal. This time the forward pounced on poor defending from the visitors nicking the ball past Jupp in goal only to see his goalbound shot from a tight angle blocked on its way to goal. That proved to be a costly miss as moments later the visitors were ahead.

Simon Peddie on his 100th appearance for the club was nudged of the ball outside the penalty area by Dean Fenton who put in a brilliant ball into the box. Experienced non-league striker Rocky Baptiste who played for Havant & Waterlooville 3 years ago in their famous FA Cup run, controlled Fenton's cross with his chest before neatly firing the ball home. McCartney in goal stood no chance, as the ball went straight into the bottom corner. It was a good goal by the visitors but one which the Motormen will have been disappointed to have conceded.

Minutes before half time Redbridge almost equalised. Good play from Leon Diaczuk in midfield saw Read again through on goal with only Jupp to beat. Read decided to chip the keeper but his idea wasn't rewarded with a goal as the ball went narrowly over the bar much to the annoyance of the home support. It just wasn't Read's day.

After half time, Harrow grew in confidence and Clarke again saw a chance on goal go wide. With the game opening up, Redbridge were unlucky not to equalise when Agdomar saw his shot from a corner blocked on the line by Jupp.

Harrow doubled their lead and sealed the game eight minutes from time when a good run from Danny McGonigle saw the ball passed infield to sub Kurt Morlese. 20 yards from goal, the forward looked up and cooly shot the ball over McCartney to seal Harrow's passage through to the 3rd Qualifying round of the FA Cup.

Redbridge though did not give up and were rewarded deep into injury time when Academy player Pele Salmon scored after an Agdomar flick on from the edge of the box. It was a fine goal from the young substitute and one which the Brazilian Pele would have been proud of.

Overall it was a good performance from Redbridge despite the defeat and one that should give Dave Ross and Kris Taylor confidence in what will be another testing fortnight for the team.

Redbridge: McCartney, Wilson, Crossley, Stephen, Peddie, Good, Ashby(Adams), White(Edwards), Read(Salmon), Agdomar, Diaczuk

Further reading