Scunthorpe RUFC was founded in 1929 when the club rented a field from a local farmer at a cost of £8.00 per season with the proviso that the goal posts be moved after each game so that the animals could return to graze.
Scunthorpe Rugby Club has come a long way since those early days; days when there were a total of 33 players on the books in an era which viewed the world of rugby through rather confused eyes, so much so that the local press referred to the “First Eleven” during the clubs first season. There was gradual growth during those early days and by 1933 there was a grand total of £4 3s 7d in the bank. In common with many clubs the post war years saw rapid growth and development and in 1952 came the news that was the greatest step in its development, the securing of its own ground. A certain Mr.J.R.Heslam, donated the ground and paid for the playing area to be levelled and made it fit for both rugby and cricket. He also gave the ground his name, which has become so well known in the recent history of Scunthorpe Rugby Club – Heslam Park.
The club then began to grow, more teams were fielded, tours were organised, and new playing, changing and social facilities were added.