Sat 31
Hull 2
Stags resolute defence and attacking flair ensure rightful bragging rights!

Stags resolute defence and attacking flair ensure rightful bragging rights!

By Matt Nundy
Share via

The Stags travelled to nearby Hessle to play Hull in what proved to be an entertaining affair that saw the Stags secure victory by 17pts to 12.

Though the scoreline indicated a close affair, in truth, the Stags dominated many phases of play and only occasional handling errors and wrong options allowed Hull to remain in contention.

Although only able to field a bare 15 the Stags were strengthened by the availability of first teamers, prop Guy Mychujluk and wing Colin Chapman.

There were sound performances throughout the team with special mention to JC, James Drury, Ollie Aldridge and the indestructible Al Thompson.

The experience of Mychujluk, Jepson and Fisher was also welcome.

The Stags intention to play a wide game was obvious from the start and forward dominance enabled the three quarters to attack the opposition at will.

Only desperate defence and handling errors at crucial times prevented the Stags from posting an early points advantage.

It was however from such an error that Hull ran in a converted try to lead 7-0 totally against the run of play.

The Stags were stung by this setback and recovered to run in two unconverted tries in quick succession.

The first by Ollie Aldridge following sustained forward pressure and good support play and the second following a storming break from Keiran Bournes, who galloped some 30 metres swatting away would be tacklers, before off loading to "JC" Barrett to complete the move.

Skipper Alan Neal had to leave the play due to injury and was replaced by Daniel Bournes who for the remainder of the game created havoc, in the opposition ranks, whenever in possession.

The half time score was 10-7 to the Stags.

The second half started in the same vein as the first with both sides trying to play attacking rugby but ill discipline at the breakdown, refereed consistently, made for a stop start affair which led to a frustrating period until the deadlock was broken by the Stags.

Following numerous attacking opportunities which proved fruitless, a well judged chip ahead by winger Chapman was fielded by James Ashton who beat two men on his way to the line to finish expertly. The score was converted by Chris Neal who had a sound game throughout in both defence and attack.

The Stags now led 17-7 and looked to close out the game while Hull, aided by former Scunthorpe players Harrison and Goodison throughout, put on a number of experienced replacements trying to recover the cause.

This action resulted in a try to Hull in the late stages to give a final score of 17-12 which slightly flattered the opposition.

The Stags can take great credit from this victory and now look forward to renewing their league campaign with added vigour and player availability.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 31, Oct 2015