Sat 11
Wharfedale 2
Stags beat Wharfedale

Stags beat Wharfedale

By Andrew Fisher
Share via

Stags beat previously unbeaten Wharfedale

Scunthorpe Stags travelled to Wharfedale RUFC on Saturday 11/01/20 with the benefit of a confidence boosting win at York the week before. Wharfedale have not been beaten this season and Scunthorpe knew that they would have to play to the best of their capability to achieve a favourable result. The team travelled with a side made up of youth and experience and gave prop Dylan Martin his first start of the season with Elliot Caunt also getting his first game with the Stags. The game was played in very blustery conditions which made kicking very difficult. The game started with Wharfedale having the wind in their favour and were quick to seize on a Scunthorpe mistake and turned the ball over, they quickly advanced down the field and scored the first try of the game which was converted. The Stags stuck to their game plan not letting Wharfedale unsettle them, each side trying to dominate the tackle and it was the Stags that started to get the upper hand. A period of attritional rugby ensued, finally Centre Will Harrison carved out an overlap and score Scunthorpe’s first try, Jake Goodison being unable to convert the extra’s. Captain Simon Fisher was forced off the pitch with injury after a Wharfedale player forcibly pushed him in the back whilst Fisher had his back turned in an off the ball incident. The first half finished with the score Wharfedale 7 Scunthorpe Stags 5.
The second half kicked off with Scunthorpe now having the benefit of the wind and also the belief that they could win the match. The Stags began to exert real pressure on the Wharfedale line but couldn’t quite get that final pass. With Wharfedale scrambling behind their lines a clearance kick was charged down , the ball landed in the goal area and despite Wharfedale players trying to touch the ball down Dylan Martin dove on the ball to give Scunthorpe their second try, Goodison being successful this time, Wharfedale 7 Scunthorpe 12. Scunthorpe again applied pressure but were always wary of the pacey Wharfedale backs counter attacking and if not for knock on’s the score could have gone Wharfdale’s favour. Scunthorpe worked their down the pitch and were within metres of the try line, and after several pick and go’s they got the ball over the line only for the referee not to award the try due to “excessive back chat” and yellow carded Mick Coult who had only been on the pitch a matter of minutes. The game became very nervy with Scunthorpe making mistakes in clearing their line and not being able to force Wharfedale back into their half. To players and spectators relief the referee finally blew the final whistle giving Scunthorpe a memorable win Wharfedale 7 Scunthorpe 12.
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 11, Jan 2020




Premiership Conference A

League position

Scunthorpe 2
Wharfedale 2