Sat 23
Hull Medicals
3rd XV
Medics left 'feeling as sick as a parrott'

Medics left 'feeling as sick as a parrott'

By Matt Nundy
Share via

Match report courtesy of Jon Brewster

Scunthorpe 3's ((Stallions) for want of a better name, competition for new name coming soon) travelled over to the north bank to play Hull Medics in perfect playing conditions with no wind and very little slope so the greens were not too upset to lose the toss.

On receiving the ball the greens sprung into the game plan of keeping it close, clear out rucks and take the hard yards. Phase after phase of gain line breaks by the solid forwards namely Sewell and Brown gave sound ball to the backs for Denovan to unleash the might of the Hercus / Murray centre partnership.

For the first 20 minutes the greens were camped in the Medics half with Crompton being held up over the line after some powerful but upright running, the only score came from a long pass from Brewster to Denovan who was in the pocket to score a well placed drop goal.

The game plan that was key to the first quarter domination went out the window as the greens started baying for blood, unfortunately this made things harder for the Greens allowing Medics back into the game. Realising that the Greens had a superior pack the Medics looked to use their youth and speed; tapping penalties instead of kicking for touch. This paid off with some quick passing and excellent running lines to score a try under the posts and convert.

Half time score 7 - 3 to the home team saw Greens come back fired up with some hard tackling by Price and strong defensive work from the whole team but especially Robinson as the Medics sprinted out of the blocks.

Penalties were killing off the Greens stride putting them constantly on the back foot. Eventually their own mistakes let the Medics control several phases of play and score a well taken try, the kick was missed.

With the luck on the side of the Greens the penalty count lowered and gave them chance to take a strangle hold of the game and get back to the style of rugby the Greens are feared for, this extra effort saw the Greens lose Sewell to an injury putting the side down to 14 on the pitch. The pick and go by all the forwards especially Waldron and Rowbotham pushed the Medics way back into their own half. After fast ball out the backs and an enormous run from Hercus sitting his opposite number to the floor the Medics conceded a penalty for killing the ball. Denovan clipped the ball into the opposition 22 with only 15m to go. From the line out the greens set up a rolling maul putting massive pressure onto the Medics for them to only pull down the maul with five metres to go, another penalty for the Greens. Quick thinking from Chapman saw K Murray on the other wing with a supporting Johnston and chipped the ball cross field for an easy walk over try. With a minute to go the Greens piled on the pressure knowing that any score would win the game, the greens won a penalty in their own half just outside kicking range and with just enough time left for a line out the Greens opted for territory option kicking into touch. Another sound line out by Hinchliffe gave clean ball out to an inside run from the centres to put the medics under pressure again and yet again they feared the Greens powerful running and so dived over the ruck. This time the kick was in range for the mammoth boot of Murray who calmly slotted a kick from 40 yards, the final whistle blew leaving the Scunthorpe 3s with a well deserved victory winning 13 point to 12.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 23, Nov 2013




East District Merit League