Sat 07
1st XV
Peterborough Lions
S Johnson (3)
G Mychajluk, J Dyson, T Foster
S Johnson (2)
7 wins on the spin

7 wins on the spin

By Matt Nundy
Share via

Explosive 2nd 40 minutes sees the Greens beat Peterborough Lions by 28-19

The heavy morning raining had stopped and conditions where mainly fine with the exception of a strong south westerly wind.

The Greens started with the elements in their favour and with largely the same squad that travelled to Northampton. Jake Barron was restored to the back row and Mick Dunk Junior made his first appearance, on the bench since damaging his ribs last month.

With both sides holding strong in defence, and some very strict refereeing, there was very little creative play on show. Steve Johnson kicked a penalty after 15 minutes to put the home boys in front and although The Lions had several opportunities to kick at goal they opted to give their pack the option of bundling over from a ‘catch & drive’. They failed on 3 occasions, and allowed Johnson another penalty chance at the end of the first half. They did then get themselves onto the scoreboard during injury time, through the individual efforts of powerful winger Vernon Horn, who forced a touch down in the left hand corner even though The Green defence almost succeeded in holding him up. Fly-half, Will Carrington added the conversion and The Lions went into the interval with a 7 points to 6 advantage.

The second half started with a lot more adventure as both side found their attacking styles. First the visitors struck with a fine handling move down the right which was finished by Harry Winch in the right hand corner and although Carrington failed to convert they now held a 12 points to 6 lead after only 4 minutes of the second half. Johnson reduced the deficit two minutes later with a strait forward penalty strike to put his team only 3 points adrift.

Scunthorpe then put together their best sequence of play, taking themselves close to the visitors line winning a penalty and also having the lions second row, Marius Andrisjaukus sent to the bin. From the subsequent line-out, the home pack drove over with Guy Mychajluk getting the try. Johnson converted, putting his side once more in front by 16 points to 12 and only 6 minutes of the second half had elapsed.

The Lions struck back only two minutes later when Horn fielded a clearance kick and set off on a powerful run down the right flank, scattering defenders in his wake, to score. Carrington converted to put his team once more ahead at 19 points to 16, in this see-saw battle after a hectic 12 minutes of the second period.

Back came The Greens with James Dyson touching down after another successful line- out drive. Johnson failed with the conversion but the home boys had again claimed the lead at 21 points to 19.

Peterborough then allowed indiscipline to undermine their efforts as two players were yellow carded in the 34th and 36th minutes as they desperately tried to keep the home boys out. What followed rather inevitably was another try for Scunthorpe when captain, Tom Foster took a quick tap penalty and scampered over in the 36th minute. Johnson’s conversion attempt failed but The Greens had now stretched their lead to 28 points to 19.

As the home team tried desperately to get the bonus point try, over anxiety allowed passes to go to ground and they had to settle for a 4 point victory.

The next two games are on the road, as they travel first to Sandbach in Cheshire and then to Syston in Leicestershire as they attempt to continue this winnings streak of six league wins. This is a tough ask as both sides are usually strong at home.

Report courtesy of Mr L Clayton

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 07, Nov 2015




National League 3 Midlands