Sat 28
1st XV
Sutton Coldfield
J Dyson, K Bournes, C Chapman, J Barron, T Hughes, T Foster
S Johnson (3), A Dibden
S Johnson, A Dibden
Greens return to winning ways

Greens return to winning ways

By Matt Nundy
Share via

The Greens recovered from their previous week’s trauma at Syston and posted a comprehensive bonus point win at home against Sutton

The squad showed only two changes from the previous week, with Si Weller and Mick Dunk returning to the squad.

The game kicked off in blustery conditions with Scunthorpe having the benefit of the gusty wind in the first half. Sutton were first to get hold of the ball and go through their paces and kept things tight against the elements. The home defence remained strong and on more than one occasion held the player up in the tackle, thus getting the put in at the resulting scrummage. After 10 minutes, Scunthorpe kicked a penalty into the corner and following a catch & drive from the pack, James Dyson picked his spot to touchdown. Steve Johnson added the extra 2 points in difficult conditions and The Greens were on the board with a 7 points to nil lead.

Scunthorpe maintained pressure and was rewarded when a penalty resulted from a deliberate infringement at the breakdown giving the home boys a penalty which Johnson converted for a 10 points to nil lead after 22 minutes. Things did become rather fractures at times with players from both side getting involved. Referee Sarah Toll decided it was time to cool things down and sent Steve Johnson from the home side and Rhos Price from the visitors to the bin.

The Greens worked the ball through several phases and eventually towards the left wing where James Dyson found space and his pass sent Keiran Bournes in for a try on 38 minutes. Only two minutes later and with the ball again moving through the hands, Colin Chapman streaked through the gap to touch Down. With kicker Johnson in the bin, first Captain Tom Foster and then Ash Dibden missed with their conversion attempts. Dibden did however kick a late penalty to give The Greens a 23 points to nil advantage to carry into the second half.

Tim Robinson would no doubt have reminded the boys of a similar advantage the previous week that was squandered. It would seem that his words were heeded as they came out firing straight away and Jake Barron was the beneficiary of some initial line breaks to run in from just outside the ‘22’ for a try only a minute into the second half. With Johnson still absent, Dibden did the necessary and added the extras to take the home boys to a lead of 30 points to nil. Sutton managed to get their fair share of territory for the next 15 minutes but failed to produce a score. Their cause was not helped when they had two men sent to the bin in the tenth and eighteenth minutes. It was the home side that once more produced a turnover tackle, giving them the put in at the subsequent scrum, from whence they pushed the opposition over their own line with Tom Hughes getting the touchdown. Johnson now returned to the fray, added the conversion after 19 minutes of the second half.

Thirty three minutes into the second half and Sutton managed to capitalise on a favourable position and eventually Ollie Chiris crossed for a try after 33 minutes of the second half. Alex White converted for a 37 points to 7 score-line.

The Greens were not done yet and Captain Tom Foster was the beneficiary of excellent work by Gareth Mist and James Dyson to run in under the posts. Johnson converted to give the final score a rosy glow at 44 points to 7 and a bonus point win.

Next week The Greens travel to Birmingham Solihull for a first ever meeting between the clubs. Birmingham have played up to championship level over the last two decades but as their fortunes have slipped they now find themselves at level 5. No doubt Tim Robinson will keep the boys focussed for the run in to the Christmas break.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 28, Nov 2015




National League 3 Midlands