Sat 09
1st XV
Bonus Point Win at Finstall Park

Bonus Point Win at Finstall Park

By Peter Bright
Share via

James Dyson's 28th try breaks a 44 year old record for SRUFC

Having secured the bonus point victory that they were seeking, The Greens have secured a seasons finale that would have seemed highly improbable at the start of the season. Victory by 24 points to 5 did not however come without a cost as centre Oli Wood suffered a hamstring injury during the second half and is almost certain to miss the game against Hinckley next week.

Travelling without several regular forwards, Scunthorpe nonetheless played some open rugby in what turned out to be very wet and heavy conditions. The home boys started with a great sense of purpose and moved the ball through the hands. They were rewarded with a penalty after 2 minutes but failed to turn this opportunity into points. They did however get on the board with a well taken try when the home fullback ran back a poorly directed kick with great pace to breach the Scunthorpe defence for an excellent try. The kick was unsuccessful but Bromsgrove had drawn first blood after 11 minutes.

Scunthorpe gradually got back into the game with improved ball control and secured a good field position from which Guy Mychajluk drove over. Steve Johnson added the conversion with an excellent strike to take the lead for the Greens. The momentum was now with Scunthorpe and they continued to play with confidence. A inside pass from Tom Foster found Ash Dibden on the burst and he broke through the home defence and ran powerfully to score from the half way line. Johnson missed the conversion but The Greens were now 12 points to 5 ahead after 21 minutes. With a deterioration in playing conditions, neither side was able to add to the score before half-time.

Scunthorpe started the second period with greater purpose and once more secured a position inside the home ‘22’ where they set up a driving maul, which when stopped, saw James Dyson dodge his way through the remaining cover to score. This was his 28th try of the season and broke a 44 year old club record for the number of tries in a season for the senor side. The conversion was unsuccessful but The Greens were now in front by 17 points to 5 after 10 minutes of the second half.

The home boys now put in a period of sustained pressure and were only held out by some strong defensive work. It was daring this spell that Ash Dibdin was rather harshly yellow carded for a deliberate knock down of the ball when he quite clearly went to catch the it. Scunthorpe managed to weather this period although being a man down and came back in the last 10 minutes with their own pressure and score the vital 4th bonus point try. It was started by Steve Johnson making a mid-field break with the ball moving to the left but an inside pass to the supporting Dyson changed the point of attack and just on from the bench, Rory Randall-Tyrell sprinted into the right hand corner. An excellent strike from Johnson added the extras and The Greens were looking good at 24 points to 5 ahead after 36 minutes. Although dominant to the end no additional points were scored but all is now set fair for the seasons last league match at home to Hinckley.

Match Report by LWJClayton

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 09, Apr 2016




National League 3 Midlands