Sat 17
1st XV
Caldy Too Hot to Handle

Caldy Too Hot to Handle

By Peter Bright
Share via

Greens score first and last, but Caldy score a few in between!!

The Greens started once more without skipper Tom Foster but were also missing Will Robinson and the influential James Dyson. Matt Power starter his first senior game for two years whilst Grant Elliot and Eddie Newsum made the squad for the first time.

The Caldy side have been amongst the top sides in this league for many years and in fact reached the play-offs a few years ago. They started the game with some high tempo rugby but it was the home boys that drew first blood when Steve Johnson converted a penalty after 4 minutes. The visitors were however on the board after 8 minutes when hooker Oliver Hearn was on the end of a sweeping move for the try converted by Jack Lavin. Lavin then crossed for a try only two minutes later following a powerful run and converted once more. Caldy were now 14 points to 3 ahead but this was soon reduced when Ash Dibden charged down an attempted clearance kick, re-gathered and touched down. Johnson converted and the home boys were only 14 points to 10 down.

Strong defence and a mistake from the Wirral boys gave Scunthorpe the opportunity to close to within a point after 19 minutes. Unfortunately the kick was missed and the visitors came back with some outstanding play to score in the 26th through a penalty by Lavin and a second try by lively hooker Hearn in the 28th minute. With the score-line at 22 points to 10, things were not looking too good for the home boys. As Scunthorpe had earlier lost Johnson to injury it was Adam Middleton who stepped up to successfully convert a penalty after 35 minutes to make the score 22 to 13. If they had held the visitors to this score-line, they may well have had a chance to come back in the second half. However, Caldy effectively sealed the game with two late first half scores, which took them into the break with a 32 points to 13 lead.

As the injury toll mounted so The Greens needed more changes and this disruption allowed Caldy to take full advantage and two early second half tries, taking them up to 44 points to 13 after only 12 minutes of the second period. Scunthorpe managed to keep the visitors out through some desperate defending until the 25th minute when fresh legs helped the visitors to another score and then a final try in the 36th minute for a 55 points to 13 lead.

To the delight of the home crowd The Greens had the final say, when aided by a Caldy yellow card, they managed to drive over from close-in for Nick Dyson to touch down with the final play of the match, for a 55points to 18 final score-line.

Match Report by LWJClayton

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 17, Sep 2016




National League 2 North

League position