Sat 18
1st XV
1stXV Lose at Hinckley

1stXV Lose at Hinckley

By Peter Bright
Share via

More Injury Woes for Coach Tim Robinson

Scunthorpe travelled without the injured Paul Cook and the unavailable Danny Vannet but gave prop forward Scott Brown a first appearance on the bench.

The game started on a reasonable playing surface and cool overcast conditions. The home team were first to have a scoring opportunity when fly-half Mark Lord made a long range penalty attempt following an infringement by the Greens at the first scrummage. The effort went wide and only two minutes later it was the turn of Steve Johnson to go for an attempt from half-way which was successful and put his team into a 3 points to nil lead. Poor defence led to home captain Alex Salt driving over for a try to put Hinckley ahead after 13 minutes. Only two minutes later, Johnson once more struck from long-range to restore the lead for The Greens by 6 points to 5.

Play was mainly confined to mid-field as defences remained strong for both sides. Johnson struck another penalty for Scunthorpe after 20 minutes and then when a Scunthorpe move was illegally stopped by the hand of a home player, Hinckley had the first yellow card of the day on the half-hour. Johnson again did the honours and The Greens were now ahead by 12 points to 5. As the game moved into added time for the first period Johnson and Lord exchanged penalties for The Greens to have a 15 points to 8 advantage. Late drama saw both sides have a player binned in separate incidents. Most worrying for The Greens was that their player was their only points scorer to-date, Steve Johnson.

As the start of the second half is always a vital period, Scunthorpe again switched off and Hinckley scored a try after just 3 minutes when Sam Driver crossed on the left. Lord converted and the scores were now level. Hinckley were gradually make their forward power tell and after 25 minutes Salt went over for his second try from a catch & drive. Lord once more converted giving the home boys a 22 points to 15 lead. On the half hour Scunthorpe lost captain Tom Fosterto injury, whilst Hinckley lost Luke Coltman to a red card for a straight arm tackle on Ash Dibdin. Also leaving the field for Scunthorpe were Olly Cole, Ollie Wood and Gareth Mist. So although the home boys were a man down, the disruption seemed to affect Scunthorpe the greater and the home side scored a pushover try credited to Salt which gave him a hat-trick.

Hinckley scored again on 35 minutes and although Scunthorpe managed a touch-down through the hard working Dibdin, It was Hinckley that finished the game on a high with the final try of the match and a points tally of 41 points to 20.

As the injury list grows once more, Tim Robinson will be pleased to have a week off next Saturday, giving time for some of his players to recover.

Match Report by LWJClayton

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 18, Feb 2017




National League 2 North

League position