Sat 29
1st XV
Chester take the Spoils

Chester take the Spoils

By Peter Bright
Share via

Greens battle hard but fall short at final hurdlel

The Greens travelled to Chester’s Hare Lane ground without Captain Tom Foster who suffered a concussion at Luctonians last Saturday. On the credit side they did have the influential James Dyson back in the team.

Scunthorpe produced a great start to the game and managed a score after only a minute of play. James Dyson made the initial break, before the ball was recycled and moved to the left wing where Jack Badley broke through a couple of tackles and his inside pass found Colin Chapman for the touchdown. Badley’s conversion attempt from wide out hit the crossbar but nonetheless The Greens were in front by 5 points to nil. The home team started to gain more ball and it took some good defence to keep them at bay. Play was still fairly even with neither side able to gain a clear advantage. It took until the 34th minute for Chester to have a clear shot at goal but the effort by Callum Bennett went wide.

The home team did eventually get on the board when their pack drove for the Scunthorpe line with Alex Reed being credited with a disputed touchdown. Bennett added the extras with a fine strike from wide on the left to give Chester a 7points to 5 advantage in the 37th minute. Deep into first half injury time The Greens won a penalty inside the home ‘22’ and Badley managed to take his side into the interval with an 8 points to 7 lead, following his successful kick.

Scunthorpe were still on course in their effort to remain in National two North as the second period commenced but the task became even more difficult as Chester managed to cross after just 2 minutes of the second half when centre Payne crashed through running a tight angle from a ruck on the Scunthorpe line. The Home boys were now 12 points to 8 ahead. Chester managed to increase their advantage after 18 minutes when an overlap on the left saw winger Rees finish in the corner. The home team now seemd to be well in control at 17 points to 8. Scunthorpe never gave up and kept trying to break through the home defence with Jake Barron showing the way. Their efforts were undermined when a head injury to Sam Morgan who was covering at fly-half, meant that he was taken from the field on a stretcher. More re-organisation required by an already stretched Scunthorpe team but they battled back into the home half and won a penalty after 31 minutes but Badley pulled his kick wide. So going into the final minutes of the match, The Greens still required two scores to go ahead. All this was to no avail as Chester broke down field in injury time to score a long range try which sealed the gam and Scunthorpe’s fate to play their rugby in the Midlands at level 5.

It was a creditable effort playing with a patched up threequarter line which exclude their captain but thoughts will no doubt be on next season and the possibility of and immediate bounce back.

Match Report by LWJClayton

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 29, Apr 2017




National League 2 North

League position