Sat 16
Newbold on Avon
1st XV
Great Bonus Point Win Away at Newbold-on-Avon

Great Bonus Point Win Away at Newbold-on-Avon

By Peter Bright
Share via

Greens Bag the 5 Points in the Cold Conditions

Having had the game at Longton Rugby called off due to the weather last Saturday, The Greens were keen to show that their recent winning form had not deserted them. They travelled into Warwickshire without Ollie Cole, due to injury, but otherwise had most of the regular squad on board to travel.

The game kicked off in poor conditions with icy rain falling. This made handling a difficult exercise and there were early mistakes on both sides. Scunthorpe were first to get into a threatening position when from a penalty into the home ‘22’ and having had the initial drive stopped, they went through several phases before Oli Wood made a clean break to run in for the opening try. Paul Cook struck a good conversion from half-way out, to give The Greens a 7 points to 0 lead after 15 minutes of play. A period of inconclusive play followed, during which the home boys had the disappointment of the yellow carding of fullback Richard Murray for taking out his opposite number in the air. Credit to The Bold, they did not allow this to spoil their ambition and carried strongly into the Scunthorpe half from where Danny Facer managed to touch down. The kick was unsuccessful but they had pulled back to 5 points to 7 after 25 minutes of play.

It was Scunthorpe who next raised the tempo and after a succession of drives by the pack, Dave Garbutt powered over. Cook once more converted and The Greens were ahead by 14 points to 5 after 35 minutes of the first period. A further opportunity to increase their lead just before half time whistle was lost when poor lineout execution let the Scunthorpe boys down.

Even though the rain had now ceased, the cold air still produced a freezing mist across the ground which made both playing and spectating a difficult occupation. Scunthorpe again took advantage of a home team indiscretion, and Cook struck a penalty between the posts after 7 minutes of the second period, for a 17 points to 5 lead. Tom Foster then sent up a high ball, which landed just in the opposition half and rather kindly between two defenders who both missed the ball which bounced into the arms of Will Robinson who raced in for the try. Cook's successful conversion put his team ahead by 24 points to 5 after 9 minutes of the second half.

Scunthorpe were now quite dominant with the pack playing and carrying with confidence. From second phase ball just inside the home ‘22’, Sam Morgan ran a good line from the blind side, onto the shoulder of Tom Foster and when the pass came, he was through the gap and over under the posts. Cook added the extras and after 15 minutes of the second half, The Greens were looking good with a 31 points to 5 advantage.

Scunthorpe then had to withstand some serious home pressure for a good 10 to 15 minute spell before once more entering home territory. Cook missed his first kick of the day from a penalty award after 35 minutes, but Scunthorpe were not done, and from a ruck near the home line, Josh Bird was quick to see the over-stretched home defence, dummied and went through the gap for a 5th try to The Greens. Cook was unsuccessful from wide out to the left but Scunthorpe now had a 36 points to 5 advantage going into injury time, and the final whistle.

Coach Tim Robinson will be very pleased with the 5 points and also the way the boys performed with no slackening of intensity with replacements Kane Linklater, Nick Syddall and Rory Rendall- Tyrell coming on for the last 20 minutes of play. The Greens now go into the Christmas break and Tim Robinson will hope that Cole will have had his perforated eardrum fixed before The Greens next game, which will be at home on the 6th January against Bournville.

Louie Clayton

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 16, Dec 2017




Midlands Premier

League position

Newbold on Avon