Sat 28
1st XV
Dalesmen go home with 4 points

Dalesmen go home with 4 points

By Peter Bright
Share via

No bonus point this week

As well as the 3 that were absent from the game at Preston, The Greens were also minus long serving hooker Gareth Mist alongwith Will Scammell and Ben McStay. James Walker made his home debut whilst Jack and Liam Brunt joined the match day squad.

Following the morning downpour, the weather at kick-off time was bright sunshine. Scunthorpe fumbled the kick-off and that set the standard from both sides for the early exchanges. Whilst the visiting Dalesmen were the first to show through their big set of forwards, It was the home boys who opened the scoring when the ball was taken up to the visitors line by some strong driving play before debutant Walker went over for the try. The conversion was unsuccessful but The Greens had taken the lead after only six minutes.

Wharfedale struck back when they were camp on the home line for several minutes but came away empty handed. They did however continue to dominate possession and territory and used their big pack to drive at the home line. The referee ruled that the maul had illegally been pulled down and awarded a penalty try. So, after 25 minutes the Dales boys had taken the lead by 7 points to 5.

The game thus far was not for the purist as mistakes by both sides abounded and the scrummage offences seemed to go against one side and then the next. As half time approached, the Greens lost a player to the bin but were rescued by the half-time whistle with the score remaining at 7 points to 5 in the visitors favour.

The early exchanges in the second period went the way of the visitors as The Greens continued to fall foul of the referee with a high penalty count against them. Jack Blakeney-Edwards missed a kick at goal after 8 minutes but the Dalesmen did manage a try when the worked an overlap on the right for fullback, Harry Bullough to cross. Blakeney-Edwards struck the conversion for a 14 points to 5 lead 14 minutes into the second half. He then struck a penalty in the 23rd minute to take his side into a 17 points to 5 lead after 23 minutes.

Scunthorpe then had more misery as they lost Matt Probert and James Walker with injury and later more re-arranging was called for when Josh Bird left the field. Wharfedale then sealed the game when with the last play, Will Harrison, whilst defending the blindside of the maul, was adjudged to have made a deliberate knock-on whilst going into a tackle. A debate followed between referee and his assistant before he went under the post to award a penalty try and blew his whistle for the end of the game. Wharfedale were worthy winners having created more scoring opportunities but the home side were somewhat aggrieved by a series of bizarre decisions, culminating in the penalty try at the death that gave the Dalesmen a 24 points to 5 victory.

Match Report by LWJ Clayton

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 28, Sep 2019




National 2 North

League position