Sat 30
1st XV
Deserved Victory for Hull

Deserved Victory for Hull

By Peter Bright
Share via

Final score-line reflects quite harshly on The Greens

The Greens travelled over the Humber without Jacob Hardy, Will Scammell and Ben McStay but started the game displaying more energy and determination than of late. They took the lead when Hull were penalised at the breakdown and Paul Cook slotted the penalty after only 1 minute of play. A facial injury then saw Cook having to leave the Field, giving another blow to The Greens playing resource. Hull responded after 5 minutes when Simon Humberstone kicked a penalty for the home boys to level the scores. Both sides had the moments of pressure but it was the home side that was generating most of the momentum. It was only some very resolute defence that kept them at bay. Both Colin Chapman and Will Robinson made try saving tackles. Scunthorpe rather harshly had Gareth Mist sent to the bin for a “no arms tackle” when the ball carriers’ drive took him through the arms of the tackler. With The Greens being reduced to 14 men, Hull opted for a scrum and suffered the indignity of being turned over by 7 forwards. They did however gain satisfaction when they than ran back a poor clearance kick supplemented by a missed tackle in mid-field, to score through Mike Adlard. Humberstone’s conversion gave them a 10 points to 3 lead after 34 minutes.

They then score another try only 4 minutes later when good support work, saw Steve Johnson cross half-way out on the left. Humberstone failed to add the extras as his attempt hit the upright but the home boys now had a 15 points to 3 advantage. As the half went into added time, Will Robinson added another 3 points from a long-range strike to take the teams into the interval with Hull leading by 15 points to 6.

After only 4 minutes of the second period Scunthorpe gained a penalty in mid-field on the half-way line but Will Robinson miss cued his strike. Hull responded virtually straight away when a series of drives led to a try for Tim O’Donnell. A scuffle after the try led to Hulls Tip Kivalu being yellow carded. Humberstone added the extras and the home boys were now leading by 22 points to 6. Scunthorpe forced their way back into the home ‘22’ and were aided by home indiscipline, when former Green player Johnson was tallow carded. The Scunthorpe pack drove over with Jack Scorer getting the touchdown. The conversion failed but they had clawed back the deficit to 22 points to 11. Hull once more responded when the ball was spun out for left winger, Alex Heard, to squeeze through in the corner. The conversion was missed but the home team had once more established a clear advantage at 27 points to 11.

The home boys then had Laurence Cowan red carded for striking an opponent and Scunthorpe took full advantage when James Dyson touched down following good driving play from the pack. The conversion failed but the score-line was now 27 points to 16. As the game slipped into added time it was the home side that managed to retain the ball through multiple phases and score half-way out to the right of the posts. Humberstone’s conversion made the scoreline 34 points to 16. Whilst the is no doubt that the home team deserved their victory, The final score-line reflects quite harshly on The Greens who gave a much more energised performance with some high intensity rugby.

They entertain Otley at Heslam Park next Saturday and will have to continue with this improvement in order to gain a first win of the season.

Match Report by Louie Clayton

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 30, Nov 2019




National 2 North

League position