Sat 01
1st XV
Stour Out Gun the Greens

Stour Out Gun the Greens

By Peter Bright
Share via

Greens could not keep Stour at bay

The Greens went into the game yesterday with much reduced playing resources, as holidays, illness and injury struck. In the forwards Al Fagan, Nick Syddall also Nick and James Dyson were absent. Whilst in the threequarters, the squad were without Captain Tom Foster, Will Harrison, Colin Chapman and Will Scammell.

Scunthorpe started in quite a positive fashion and took the game to their west midlands opponents. Carrying strongly Ben Hyde collided with Reece Meadows who was knocked out and had to leave the field following lengthy treatment. Stourbridge were on the back foot having to make an early change and things could have been worse if Will Robinson had found touch in the corner from a penalty instead of the kick going “touch in goal”, thus losing a good attacking position. Paul Cook also missed a penalty opportunity after 12 minutes and that is as good as it got for some time. Stourbridge ran back a wayward kick through Daniel Rundle, setting up a try for Joe Heatley to open the scoring after 15 minutes of play. The Greens then had Will Robinson yellow carded for a high tackle after 20 minutes and the visitors took advantage when Jack lea drove over after 22 minutes and Chris Scott converted for a 12 points to nil lead.

Tries followed in quick succession from Dan Rundle and Mark Harrison both converted by Scott to give the visitors a comfortable 26 points to nil lead after 25 minutes. This was stretched to 33 points on the half-hour through a try by Llyr Griffiths with the conversion by Scott. The home boys came back with some enterprising play when good work by veteran Phil Jepson, allowed Jacob Hardy to race in from 30 metres out. The conversion was missed in the strong blustery wind but the home boys were nonetheless on the scoreboard as the first period came to a close.

The Visitors were straight out of the blocks in the second half through a try by Josh Trinham after 4 minutes but the home boys came straight back when pressure from the pack and quick recycling found Gareth Mist, who crossed in the left hand corner. The conversion was unsuccessful but the home boys had now got 10 points on the board which however did not compare too well to Stourbridge’s 38. The visitors continued to stretch the youthful home threequarter line and had built up an imposing lead by the time that Paul Cook forced his way through for the third home try after 40 minutes. The final whistle came with Stourbridge running out victors by 76 points to 15. The Greens will now have to prepare for the visit to a resurgent Hinckley in Leicestershire and look for a return of some of the absentees to bolster the team.

Match Report by Louie Clayton

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 01, Feb 2020




National 2 North

League position