Sat 19
Market Bosworth
1st XV
Scunthorpe win again

Scunthorpe win again

By Malcolm Yates
Share via

Scunthorpe beat Market Bosworth despite having three players in the bin.

The Greens travelled to Leicestershire for their second away fixture of the season at the historic town of Market Bosworth. With two wins already under their belts the Greens ventured in expectation rather than hope.

Their confidence was further boosted when Captain, Tom Foster touched down after only two minutes of play. Woody Viamoso attacked from inside his own ‘22’ feeding on to James Wade who took play into the opposition half before handing on to Chris Neal for Foster to take the final pass. Mark Woollard converted for a 7 points to nil advantage.

The home side came straight back and on 6 minutes drove a maul up to the Greens line and even though they were stopped short they managed to retain possession and cross for a try. The conversion was missed and Scunthorpe retained the lead by 7 points to 5. It was soon clear that the home side were going to play the game tight using their forwards to gain ground whilst Scunthorpe would attack through their Threequarters.

The Greens attacked mainly from deep positions and although they broke the gain line, the final pass always seemed to go astray. They were rewarded with a penalty after 12 minutes which Woollard duly converted. Market Bosworth missed their penalty opportunity after 15 but Woollard was successful after 21 and 31 minutes to give the Greens a 16 points to 5 advantage. As half-time approached the home side was awarded a penalty which they converted for a 16 points to 8 scoreline.

The home boys made the best possible start to the second period when they again applied pressure through their forwards and drove over for a try. With Fly-half Lewis Brightmore adding the extras the Greens advantage was reduced to just one point. The Heslam Park boys replied 9 minutes after the interval when Viamoso was given a vestige of space out on the left to score in the corner. For once Woollard missed the conversion but the lead had grown to 21 points to 15. Market Bosworth reduced the arrears with a penalty after 15 minutes which were now coming against Scunthorpe thick and fast.

Viamoso again proved a big thorn in the home side as he broke from deep to outpace the cover to score close in. Woollard added the extras for a 26 points to 18 lead. The Greens were becoming increasingly frustrated with some of the refereeing decisions and this was being transmitted to their play. Chris Neal scored a further try for Scunthorpe after 25 minutes following a clever chip ahead from Dan Mclean and with the following successful conversion by Woollard they were looking good at 35 points to 18. The home side scored two minutes later, again through their pack and following a successful conversion they reduced the margin to 35 – 25.

The last ten minutes of the match should best be forgotten as the referee once more decided to impose himself on the game with things becoming very disjointed and frustrating for spectators and players alike. Three Scunthorpe players were yellow carded during this period and everyone was pleased to eventually hear the final whistle.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 19, Sep 2009




Midlands 1 East