Sat 25
Kirton Brickworks
Selston Reserves
J Booth (31'), J Black (60')
Kirton Brickworks  v Selston Reserves

Kirton Brickworks v Selston Reserves

By Jeff minchin
Share via

Kirton grab the spoils with last minute winner

Selston Reserves Travelled to play Kirton Brickworks in a division one clash. A few changes for the lads today, we welcome back Joe Toon to the club and his first duty was to play in goal as Jake Simpson was with the first team, Josh Booth steps in at right back and with skipper Garren Haslam also with the firsts Callum Howell starts in midfield. The first 15 minutes it was a tight affair and there wasn't any real chances of note although Kirton had started the better of the two sides with Selston giving the ball away to many times early on. On 16 minutes Kirton were awarded a soft penalty when a striker won a foot race with Joe Marson, drove into the box and got his shot away which went wide. To our amazement the referee blew and brought the play back and adjudged Marson to have pulled the player back and awarded a spot kick. The penalty was dispatched and Kirton had been gifted the lead 1-0. It was only 5 minutes later that the exact same thing happened in Kirtons box as Cameron Gascoyne was pulled back as he was about to shoot and could only force a corner. Did the referee bring the play back and award a penalty, no and they wonder why players and managers get so frustrated with them. A bit aggrieved the lads put a move together which ended with Jordan Black flicking a header just over the bar on 21 minutes. A minute later and we should have been level when Jamie shacklock was slipped through and tried to round the keeper but he was equal to it and saved at the wingers feet. The lads were putting a bit of pressure on and Cameron Gascoyne fired just over from long range on 25 minutes. Selston did manage to pull level from a well worked short corner which saw Jamie Shacklock drive into the box and pull the ball back for Josh Booth to side foot home from close range for 1-1. We couldn't keep the score level though as the home side took the lead just before half time when a poor clearance fell to a striker on the edge of our box and his shot was spilled by Toon in goal only for a Kirton player to tap in from close range for 2-1. A chance for Kirton to extend their lead a minute later with a well struck shot tipped onto the post by Joe Toon to make up for the earlier goal on 43 minutes. So in we went trailing 2-1 a bit unlucky but Kirton I feel maybe shaded the first half and were happy to go in with the lead.
The lads came flying out the blocks second half and were piling some early pressure on to get back level. A great chance for Jordan Black on 50 minutes was smashed over the bar from close range. On 55 minutes Jamie shacklock was through on goal but his shot was saved by the keeper. Kirton couldn't live with the football we were playing and finally conceded on 60 minutes when Callum Howell slipped in Jordan Black and this time the lad slipped the ball past the keeper into the bottom corner for 2-2. Luke Wigley replaced Jordan Black on 75 minutes. Selston were still hungry for a winner and it was all one way traffic but Kirton were still dangerous on the break and it showed when a cross was glanced onto the post and cleared by Selston. The game could have gone either way but the Reserves were still pushing for a winner but were denied by the referee on 85 minutes when Klarke Greenham beat the last defender who came lunging in and he went down for what looked like a clear penalty. The referee had other ideas though and instead of awarding a penalty he booked Greenham for diving to cap off an absolutely abysmal performance. You know what happens next, Kirton go up the other end and score on 88 minutes with a well placed header from 15 yards out looping over Toon in goal for 3-2. The lads still had time for one last chance when Luke Wigley got free in the box and his shot was well saved, the rebound fell to Klarke Greenham and his shot was well blocked from close range and cleared.
It was a hard one to bare for the lads who had at least deserved a point from the game but well done to Kirton who nicked the game at the death. MOM for Kirton was awarded to George Simpson who was at the centre of everything good for the home team. MOM for Selston went to Callum Howell who with every game the young lad is getting better and better. Manager lee Widdowson said after. Tough one to lose today but it wasn't long ago we were nicking a game late on so now we know how it feels to be on the other end and its gutting. Still very proud of the lads though as we have given Kirton first team a run for their money. We played a lot of young lads today with all our experienced players helping out our first team. We should have got something from the game but at the end of the day we were guilty of missing some really good chances and the game could have been out of sight at times. All you can do though is roll your sleeves up and go onto the next game and try your best.

Report by Jeff Minchin { Assistant Manager}.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 25, Nov 2017




Division 1

League position

Selston Reserves
Kirton Brickworks