Sat 16
1st XV
Sedgley Park
G Burns, D Rylance
S Collins, N Rushton, C Mcshane, J HarrisonS Depledge (2)
S Collins (4)
S Collins
Sheffield RUFC  14  -  31  Sedgley Park RUFC

Sheffield RUFC 14 - 31 Sedgley Park RUFC

By Roger Keegan
Share via

Sheffield find the going very tough in their first encounter with Sedgley Park since the late 1990's

Sheffield RUFC 14 - 31 Sedgley Park RUFC

Team Selection for Saturday, 16th December 2017

15. Fergus Wood
14. Rupert Broadley
13. Jamie Pearson
12. Frankie Robson
11. Gareth Morley
10. Matt Law
9. Steve Depledge

1. Joe Cooke
2. Sam Graham
3. Dan Rylance
4. Dom Parsons (Capt)
5. Dave Clayden
6. Connor Mitchell
7. Angus Hughes
8. Gareth Burns

24. Ben Whitney (FR)
20. Sam Whitworth (FR)
17. Sean Casey (FR)
19. Thulani Kuyumani
18. Lewis Bowman

The visit of 4th placed Sedgley Park was always going to be a challenge for the Sheffield team despite having just won two matches on the run. Sedgley Park travelled despite the fact that the pitch was unplayable at 9:00am in the morning, but with bright sun on the pitch everyone hoped we could get the match on. The only changes to the team that won away at Otley last Saturday were positional with Sean Casey and Angus Hughes swapping places at number 7, and of cause the loss of prop forward, Tommy Marples to injury. The squad is also still without the services of Tom Womack, Jonny France, Ryan Seabright, Ianto Jones and Andy Hodgson. Back row player Thulani Kuyumani, also retained his position in the squad.

Sedgley Park kicked off and Sheffield duly returned the ball with a line out on Sheffield's 10 metre line. Sedgley Park duly went on the attack, but Sheffield managed to turn the ball over at the breakdown and cleared to touch once again. Their second attack floundered when they knocked on, on the 22 mete line. Gareth Burns picked up and drove into the Sedgley defence, but Sheffield were penalised at the breakdown. Sedgley's fly half, Steve Collins, kicked the penalty to give the visitors a 3 point to nil lead after 7 minutes. Sedgley Park returned Matt law's kick off for Steve Depledge to chip over the top for Rupert Broadly to run on to. Unfortunately, the attentions of Sedgley Park's defence forced Rupert to knock on and they were able to amount a further attack. Dave Clayden was injured in the defence and a stoppage to the match ensued. Sedgley Park continued to dominate the proceedings, but Sheffield well and kept them at bay. However, as the pressure mounted, Sheffield were pushed into giving away penalties and therefore, territory. One of these was directly in front of the posts, some 15 metres out, but instead of taking the kick for the three points, Sedgley elected for a scrum, at which Sheffield turned the ball over for matt Law to clear to touch close to the Sheffield 10 metre line. Sedgley Park won a very 'not straight' line out, which went un penalised and they were able to break through the Sheffield defence for the fly half, Steve Collins, to score adjacent to the posts. Collins added the conversion and Sedgley Park led by 10 points to nil after 18 minutes. Sheffield battled hard and managed to keep Sedgley Park at bay until just before the half time break, when Sheffield flanker Conner Mitchell was sent to the sin bin on 37 minutes. Sedgley Park took full advantage and were duly rewarded 2 minutes later when prop forward, Nathan went over by the posts. Steve Collins added the conversion and Sedgley Park led by 17 points to nil at half time.

The second half began well for Sheffield; the return kick from Sedgley Park from the kick off gave Sheffield a line out just outside the Sedgley 22 metre. Dave Clayden secured the ball and Sheffield drove for the Sedgley line, with Gareth Burns evading the Sedgley defence to score under the posts. Steve Depledge added the conversion and Sheffield were back in the game at 7 points to 17 down after just 3 minutes of the half. However, that was about as good as it got as Sedgley Park ranked up the pressure again. Sheffield continued to battle, and looked to be keeping them at bay, but with 55 minutes gone Sedgley Park had a scrum just 10 metres out, from which scrum half Callum McShane scurried in adjacent to the posts. Once gain Steve Collins added the conversion and Sedgley Park had re-established their 17 point lead at 24 points to 7. Things did not improve for Sheffield. Attacking just outside the Sedgley Park 22 metre, Sheffield were stripped of the ball in the tackle and the Sedgley wing Jamie Harrison scurried all the way to the Sheffield try line to score their 4th try. Again, Steve Collins added the conversion and the lead was out to 31 points to 7 after 62 minutes. Sheffield did battle their way back into the match, but Sedgley Park's defence held firm. However, with 4 minutes left to play, Sedgley Park's tight head prop, Ben Black found himself on the way to the sin bin and Sheffield felt a glimmer of a consolation score. Sheffield's forwards battered away at the Sedgley Park try line and Sedgley Park gave several penalties away and with the threat of a penalty try on the cards, Sedgley Park had to retreat a little and Dan Rylance was the grateful recipient of Sheffield's second try. Steve Depledge added the conversion and the referee blew for time with Sedgley Park taking the honours with a 31 point to 14 win.

The tussle with Sheffield Tigers next weekend, before the Christmas break, now looms large.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 16, Dec 2017



Meet time



National League 2 North

League position

Sedgley Park