Sat 27
Denaby Main JFC
First Team
Bankers lose at Denaby Main

Bankers lose at Denaby Main

By Matt Taylor
Share via

Bankers travelled to Denaby for the second month in a row, and again came back having suffered a 2-0 loss.

A thin squad for Bankers this week, with a number of absentees, including Daniel Beech, Phil Miskell, Joe Jerrison and Chris Tunstall. Assistant Manager Andy Taylor made his first start outfield for Bankers this season, covering for Joe Jerrison at centre half. Jack Roe also returned to the starting line-up, having been unavailable for the last few weeks.

Bankers got off to a poor start after conceding a goal within the first five minutes. A cross was played into the box and managed to find Denaby Main’s striker, who squeezed the ball in low into the net. 1-0 to Denaby Main.

The first half was a reasonably scrappy affair. Both teams looked to take advantage of the big pitch, with a number of long balls down the channels being played. Sam Dean ran the channels constantly, stretching Denaby’s defence in the process. The first chance for Bankers fell to Sam Dean as a ball across the box landed to him, but he could not steer it on target with his head.

Another chance for Bankers was created as fan favourite Robert Jerrison collected the ball around 30 yards from goal; he took a few steps forward and drove a shot from just outside the area - the ball just sailing over the goal.

Denaby Main looked to break quickly on the counter attacks and created a few openings of their own, with their number 9 posing a threat with his pace and tricks. But overall both teams were limited to half chances in the first half; which finished 1-0.

A spritely start from Bankers in the second half saw a quick opportunity to level the game. A cross bypassed Denaby’s defence and goalkeeper and fell to Terence Balmer at the back post. However, one of Denaby’s defenders recovered well to block Balmer’s goal bound shot.

Around the hour mark Matt Taylor replaced Jack Roe on the wing. Bankers began to apply more pressure to Denaby Main and the game became more stretched. Mauro Pistis and Captain Mikey Russell were starting to see the ball a lot more and this had a positive influence on the game.

Sam Dean had a chance when going through on goal but the keeper saved it. Matt Taylor played a ball into the box for Robert Jerrison to try latch onto, but again the keeper came out to collect it. Andy Taylor also had an effort on goal via a free kick, but again this was blocked.

Denaby Main applied pressure themselves, winning a number of corners in the process. Keeper Scott Dinnigan made a couple of impressive saves and commanded his area expertly. But it was from a corner that Denaby Main grabbed their second goal. A cross to the near post was met with a high volley into the near top corner. 2-0 to Denaby Main.

Bankers ploughed on but a comeback was not on the cards this week and the game finished 2-0 to Denaby Main.

There is no fixture for Bankers this week. The following week Bankers host South Kirkby Colliery.

Manager’s Man of the Match: Scott Dinnigan


Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 27, Feb 2016




Division One
Scott Dinnigan

Player of the match

Scott Dinnigan