Sat 12
First Team
South Kirkby Colliery
D Beech (55')
1-0 to the Bankers

1-0 to the Bankers

By Matt Taylor
Share via

Sheffield Bankers managed to win a well fought out match against South Kirkby Colliery.

The afternoon started on a high as an emotional reunion between Mauro Pistis and his beloved Fiat Panda – newly restored to its former glory – put the team in good spirits.

Having had a week off to recharge, Bankers were eager to make an impression in this match. Gaffer no.2 Andy Taylor produced a motivational team talk and gaffer no.1 Ryan Griffiths set out his instructions of how he wants the team to play.

Following on from the last match, there was a return to the line-up for Daniel Beech, Chris Tunstall and Joe Jerrison. Sam Dean and Jack Roe were late absentees.

The first half was a tight affair; South Kirkby started the stronger of the two, with Bankers struggling to control possession like they usually do at home. South Kirkby had the first opportunity as their left winger got through on goal, but keeper Scott Dinnigan spread himself well to block the shot.

Around half way through the first half South Kirkby won a penalty for a foul just outside the six yard box. However, they failed to convert the chance as the ball was smashed onto the post and cleared to safety.

Bankers had a chance to open the scoring when Joe Jerrison met a cross played in from the right hand side. He rose up well but his header narrowly went wide. Another opportunity for Bankers came from a long Jo Robinson throw; fan favourite Robert Jerrison jumped up to meet it but the keeper parried it away.

Just before the break South Kirkby found another opening but again Scotty D came rushing out to block the shot. The score at half time remained goalless, with South Kirkby edging the game on chances created.

The second half saw Bankers up the tempo and press higher up the pitch. As a result Bankers were the team looking most likely to score; and that’s exactly what they did do. A clearance from South Kirkby’s goalkeeper was met by a salmon like leap from Captain Mikey Russell, who headed the ball superbly back over the defence. Daniel Beech managed to beat the offside trap to run through on goal with only the keeper to beat. The keeper dived early to his right and Beech slotted the ball to his left and into the net. 1-0 to Bankers.

With around 30 minutes remaining, Matt Taylor replaced Jo Robinson, with James Nield-Smith moving to left back and Taylor occupying the left wing position. Within a few minutes of coming on a chance opened up for Taylor to run through on goal. Latching onto a high ball over the top of the defence, Taylor looked to be running through for a one-on-one with the keeper, but was tripped by South Kirkby’s right back. Taylor managed to stay on his feet but was knocked down again by the on-rushing centre back. The referee blew his whistle for the first foul and the South Kirkby full back picked up a yellow card for his troubles.

Bankers were in their stride by this point, and as the game stretched this created more openings for the team to push for that crucial second goal. Robert Jerrison had a half chance as he collected the ball inside the area, shimmied the defender and just managed to get a shot away. However, it looked as though Jerrison had been tripped in the process and felt aggrieved not to have been awarded a penalty.

With around 15 minutes remaining Andy Taylor replaced Robert Jerrison, coming on as the target man – Bankers’ answer to Conor Sammon – although the only difference being Andy can actually head the ball.

With Beech dropping a little deeper, he began to see even more of the ball and was at the heart of a number of attacks in the closing stages. Andy Taylor also looked to show his attacking threat early on and revealed incredible pace to outrun their centre half down the right wing in his first contribution to the game. Andy Taylor had a good chance to put the game to bed when he shot from around 8 yards out, but the keeper saved his effort.

South Kirkby were still battling themselves and tried to force openings for an equaliser. But Bankers’ defence were equal to the attacks in the second half, and the midfield duo of Mauro Pistis and Mikey Russell were shielding the back four well in the closing stages.

The full time whistle blew and Bankers had managed to register their first win since January. The team now have a busy month ahead with six games to play in four weeks – starting with Davy FC at Bankers’ old stomping ground this Saturday.

Manager’s Men of the Match: Scott ‘Dinadogz’ Dinnigan & Mauro ‘The Italian Stallion’ Pistis


Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 12, Mar 2016




Division One
Scott Dinnigan

Star Player

Scott Dinnigan
Mauro Pistis

Star Player

Mauro Pistis