Sat 14
1st XV


By Gary Bonsor
Share via

Match official's watch cost Ram's victory!!

Shipston travelled to 3rd place Woodrush in the only fixture of the day in the Midland 3 West(South).The usual away day cry off's hindering the Ram's with the regular back three missing and having to play two prop's in the second row.
But straight from the kick off Shipston's small light weight pack were determined to punch above their weight against a side which spent most of the season at the top of the league.
On 8 minutes though Woodrush opened the scoring-using the wind advantage to gain good territory and muscle over.5-0.
Shipston hit back on 15 minutes when Matt Corby crashed over after great interplay between forwards and backs.5-5.
But soon after Woodrush hit back when they spun the ball wide down the left to score in the corner.10-5.
On 25 minutes the home team were award a penalty-even though they should have been penalised for not releasing in the first place-this made it 13-5.
On what should have been on the stroke of half time,Woodrush again pulled down a maul-this time the official sent the home team's scrum half to 10 minutes on the touch line.From the resulting penalty Matt Corby took a quick tap and popped the ball to George Waywell who for the second week running crashed over.13-10.
Straight from the resulting kick off Dan Taylor picked up a loose ball and sprinted down the right wing to score which Rob James converted to give Shipston what SHOULD have been a 13-17 half time lead.
But strange events followed-neither trainer had been on the field during the first half-but the match official proceed to play an extra 14 minutes in which time Woodrush used the wind advantage to score in the 51st minute a converted try to make the half time score 20-17.
Woodrush increased their lead in the second half to give them an impressive lead 27-17.
But Shipston hit back on 60 minutes when Justin Saker used his football skill's to kick through to reduce the lead to 27-22.
The match official's watch which produced a 54 minute first half,suddenly went into reverse and he compounded his 1st half error by blowing up only 28 minutes into the second half with Shipston on the attack- it was pointed out to him from the touch line his error-although only another 7 minutes extra was played-not 12 plus stoppage time.Final score 27-22
So not a satisfactory outcome-as the score in time that shouldn't have been added on being the only difference between the 2 sides.
But great performance from Shipston and a shame it wasn't awarded with a win.
So the battle continues-and with a very tough fixture against Cheltenham North next week-lets be at full strength and stay up!
Probably the easiest to pick Man of the Match of the season-Graham Eastgate,the tight head was against a loose head twice his size and more than dealt with him.Also seemed to be under every high ball which he caught every time and ran back with interest-an outstanding performance.
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 14, Mar 2015