Semi Finals Match Report

Semi Finals Match Report

By Glenn Tyreman
14 August 2016
Share via

Spitfires 62 Romans 12

To beat Oxford were going to have to find another gear again
Glenn Tyreman (Head Coach)

The Bath & Wiltshire Romans were always going to be up against it travelling with just 13 fit players. Having no subs on a humid day meant they would have to play the game of the season to upset the in form Spitfires.

Both sides approached the game nervously knowing a spot in the final was at stake, but it was the visitors who settled the better and had the advantage of some excellent field position and possession early on with the Spitfires making numerous errors. Despite the pressure it was the Spitfires who scored first after skipper Alex Hicken crashed over from a scrum and Davies added the extras making it 6-0 on 12 minutes.

The visitors then had a purple patch and their pressure paid off after strong running allowed them to score and then convert on 19 minutes making it 6-6.

The Spitfires then started to get on top as the Romans struggled with no subs and some injuries. The tiring visitors defence allowed the home side to score three tries in and blistering 6 minute period. Flying winger Garry Silverthorn added two tries out wide and Matt Blackman playing at fullback showed excellent footwork to step inside the sliding defence to score. Half back Stewart Davies added all 3 conversions making the score 24-6 on 28 minutes.

The Spitfires then had the final say of the half when a clever kick was collected by Thomas Barnes on the full, however the winger was in touch but a miscommunication between touch judge and referee led to the try been awarded and Davies added the extras giving the Spitfires a healthy lead at 30-6 at half time.


It didn't take long for the scoring to resume as Adam Broadhurst powered over on 42 minutes to make the score 34-6. Shortly after second rower Ben Knight showed excellent strength and power to cross for 2 tries on 46 minutes and 51 minutes. Davies added 1 conversion taking the Spitfires onto 44 points.

Adam Broadhurst who picked up a yellow card in the first half for a reckless tackle showed great power again crossing for his second on 60 minutes and Davies added the extras to make it 50 - 6. Skipper Hicken crossed for his second as well and Davies made his eight conversion of the afternoon.

The Romans managed a consolation try making it 56-12 but the Spitfires had the last try of the day with centre Reece Walters powering through some tired defence to score under the posts. Davies converted leaving the final score at 62 - 12 to the home side.

Next up is the Oxford Cavaliers in the Plate Final in the last game of the summer.

Share via